Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 September 2002 21:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin Vinson
I have to carry out a risk assessment for using a PAT tester and produce a method statement.

As I have limited experience in this field I would be grateful if anybody could point me in the direction of information that may help.

I have obtained copies of the IEE Regs, the electricity at work regs, the 16th edition guidance note on testing and the IEE guidance on testing

These only focus around functional steps rather than the possible hazards of use.

Can anybody point me in the right direction...?

Kevin
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 September 2002 12:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams
Kevin,

Ask the manufacturer for their risk assessment and also read the instructions they may highlight the appropriate points.

Ashley
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 September 2002 13:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Harry
I'm not sure why the IEE Regulations are relevant to the question but you might find HS(G)107 'Maintaining portable and transportable electrical equipment' useful if you look at it from the testers point of view.

As Ashley suggests, approach the manufacturer of the test equipment. I don't suppose they will have risk assessments but they will have an operator manual which should highlight any safety risks eg flash test, checking faulty equipment etc.

Harry
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 September 2002 12:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeff Manion
They may be of use - via HSE books "free" (EIS) 35-38 on specific types of testing.

Jeff Manion,
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 September 2002 15:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin J Morley
Apart from the risks from the test apparatus and its probes, it is necessary to look at the equipment being tested and the risks that it might pose.
You don't say what sort of equipment is being tested, but reference to the equipment's risk assessments would seem essential.
If the testing regime includes the common test of function, ie applying full power for several seconds, then the equipment must obviously be secure to be safe. A common example of this problem is a portable drill or saw.

martin