Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 September 2002 10:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shaun Deely
We are about to finsih the base build and move on to the fit out stage in our newest building. I have been asked to 'put together' a list of what I believe should be included in the Health and Safety file from the users point of view. (The building will be open plan offices for about 700 ppl).
As I have never been involved in a prtjoject like this before I wonder what information there might be around to help me out?

Any suggestions are welcome

Thanking in you all in advance,

Shaun
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 September 2002 10:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles New
I suggest you get hold of the free health and safety construction sheets -

CS42 CDM pre tender health and safety plan.
CS43 CDM health and safety plan in the construction phase.
CS44 CDM health and safety file.

Hope this helps
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 September 2002 10:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
Shaun

Where is your planning supervisor in all this? It is his responsibility to lead this process. It is not a matter of what you think may be needed as it is clear on your own admission you are not competent for the task. HSG 224 is the current ACOP for CDM and this provides the best advice.

Bob

Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 September 2002 12:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman
Shaun,

I concur with Bob - chase the Planning Supervisor.

We are bombarded with numerous opinions etc. that say 'give more power to the Planning Supervisor's elbow'! It is ironic that when this beast is required to perform, it is slow in coming forward.

Best of luck.

Jim
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 September 2002 08:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
By the way the new ACOP suggests that Operation and Maintenance manuals are not part of the health and safety file, although the latter may refer to them.

Bob
Admin  
#6 Posted : 10 September 2002 09:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Whilst agreeing with the advice to chase the Planning Supervisor, I do feel it worth making the point that the Client should ensure, if they can, that the PS actually gets what the Client needs by way of a Health and Safety File. From experience, I agree our needs with the PS but have often had to point out omissions upon checking the received file. At the 'end of the day' the H&S File will be for our benefit as Client and not for a long-departed PS. With regard to M&E manuals and the like, they will, almost invariably, be linked with the H&S File and usually appear either with or in it. I have found it useful to specify 2 copies of each so that one can be kept safely with the H&S File and the other used as working documents by service engineers, etc. If you only get one copy of each you can find that they start to 'disappear' (stuffed behind pipes, kept in cars, etc) and can't be found when the 'emergency' need arises.

From the Client's point of view, I would certainly expect the H&S File to contain:
as-built drawings;
project spec. & design criteria;
construction methods;
information on materials used;
structural elements;
details of installed equipment;
test results and certificates;
maintenance arrangements and schedules for the plant, equipment and structure;
M&E manuals
location and nature of services/utilities;
and previous files (or parts) where applicable.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 11 September 2002 14:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shaun Deely
To all,

Many thanks for the information both here in the forum and sent direct to me. All will prove invaluable when I meet with the planning supervisor next week.

Shaun