Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 September 2002 09:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles Lanning
Does anyone have procedures for pole testing of wooden creosote poles? I would be happy to receive any correspondence.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 September 2002 09:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt
Dear Charles

I don't have the answer, but I would like some clarification. What is the testing that is required?

Mechanical, electrical, or what? For what purpose - to protect whom?

What is the use of these poles? For electrical distribution at high voltages (if so, then give an approximate figure) or are we talking about poles carrying electric fencing for the restraint of livestock?

By the way, creosotes are in list 2A 'probably carcinogenic to humans' compiled by the International Agency for Research on Cancer, http://www.iarc.fr/

Jane

Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 September 2002 10:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi
There is a British Standard that may cover what you need!

Standard Number: BS 1990-1:1984

Title: Wood poles for overhead power and telecommunication lines. Specification for softwood poles

Abstract: This Part 1 of the revision of BS 1990, extends the range of species for which data are available, specifies water-borne preservative treatments in addition to pressure creosoting, gives a standard layout of markings and a test method for poles.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 September 2002 15:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bernie Woods MIOSH RSP
Chris, I work in the electricity supply industry, if you let me know what tests you're looking for I'll see what I can provide.