Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 October 2002 16:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Earl I am looking for help on the subject of office space for employees. My company are trying to put more employees in an office than I think is allowed. I have looked at the Workplace & Welfare Guidance. I am referring to Reg 10 (Minimum Space). Am I right in saying 11 Cubic Meters is a minimum per an employee. The specific details are Net area 335 Cubic Meters (after accounting for furniture). Divide by 11 = 38.63. employees. How does the company stand if they put more employees in the work area.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 October 2002 16:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Roberts Malcolm, my first thought on reading your posting was "Very close together" On a more serious note. I agree with your interpritation that 11 cubic metres free space per worker is the minimum requierment and any less than this would be outside the guidlines. How many people will be expected to work in the space ? One or two extra may be acceptable depending on air turnover but any more than this would be pushing it a bit. Regards Phil Roberts
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 October 2002 17:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Malcolm - there is at least one thread on this in the old forum. You need to take into account various issues including the amount of space taken up by equipment, less that space which staff can use, eg legroom under desk. + think through issues such as Disability Discrimination Act. Peter
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 October 2002 09:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Zyggy Turek, a name not unkown on this forum, gave an excellent guide in a response on 31 May. He suggests an allowance of 40% for furniture and I must say it seems to work in virtually every case. Thanks Zyggy Do a search on "Workspace Calculation" Laurie
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 October 2002 12:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Malcomb, you say you have '335 Cubic Meters (after accounting for furniture)'. The 11 cubic metres referred to in the ACoP is based on an empty room ie you should not take account of furniture. The resulting figure is a minimum and may be ‘insufficient if, for example, much of the room is taken up by furniture etc’ Jack