Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 October 2002 12:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adam Morris
I have recenlty been asked to define my organisations responsibilities for the provosion of health and safety training. I am quite new to health and safety and my current role is a trainer, is manual handling training mandatory? Obviously we should not be carrying out manual handling tasks unless reasonably practicable and any tasks should assessed for risk, in my eyes if manual handling is present then staff should recive training for this, i cannot find anything in the regs to say that this is a duty, although in relation to the management regs and HASWA the employer has to provide instruction, training and supervision. Is there anyone that makes manual handling training mandatory in their organisation?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 October 2002 13:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison Dando
We had a problem in our Trust that managers couldn't work out what was mandatory training and what wasn't, so our Trust Board has decided that: fire training, violence and aggression training, induction training(which happens to include some manual handling) and CPR training (no comments please over some of the choices, our dept. had no imput) is mandatory for all staff. Statutory training will therefore cover staff who require training as part of the control measures required from a risk assessment process. This means in effect that statutory training becomes mandatory for those staff that require it (and includes refresher training). So if your staff avoid all lifting and use automated or mechanical means of lifting, then manual handling training is not either mandatory or statutorily required!If it is required then you are quite right in respect of HSWA and MHSWR
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 October 2002 14:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
Adam
The need for training is covered by Reg 4 - 'employers shall take appropriate steps to reduce the risk of injury...'. The guidance makes it clear that training is covered by this requirement but HSE did not explicitly refer to training in the Regs because they wanted employers to consider all means of reducing injury rather than just going straight for training.

Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 October 2002 10:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard
I have managed to convince my employers that fire, manual handling, dse, coshh and risk assessment training is a minimum annual statutory requiremnt.

Obviously individual areas are tailored to individual groups - manual handling receieves more emphasis for the janitors than dse, the opposite being true for our admin staff.

All staff must recive "adequate training"

Richard