Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 October 2002 12:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Younger Greetings All I am just completing my fourth week as a national health and safety co-ordinator for a large retail chain. The Company use a large number of contractors to refit shops etc, and as such have identified the need to set up contractor monitoring in a new safety policy presently being produced. My thoughts are that every contractor should be placed on an approved list, by supplying their safety policy, accident figures for the previous three years, insurance details and examples of risk assessment. What I then plan to do is set up a risk banded procedure for management of projects low/medium/high low risk will be the general stuff like changing a light bulb, lock on a door etc. can anybody share their ideas with me as to what they require contractors to supply prior to risk banded work? many thanks Pete Younger
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 October 2002 12:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neal Robertson Peter, I don`t have many dealings with contractors, but a colleague in Hawick has allowed me to put their contractor forms on our website - http://members.lycos.co.uk/sbsf Feel free to download & adapt. While you`re there, follow the link to SafetySite - plenty of contractor info there Hope this helps
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 October 2002 12:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murphy Peter. Please visit www.chas.gov.uk. If you are interested in using the scheme you can contact me via the website or e-mail. You can download from the web-site, an electronic questionnaire that describes the the comprehensive assessment standrads. Regards John
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 October 2002 08:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Peter, HSE publish a guidance document called "Managing Contractors". Although primarily aimed at the Chemical industry, it is applicable to other industries. Inside there is a section on the key issues you should be addressing when selecting contractors. The EEF also do a good booklet called "Client/Contractor relationships". Hope this helps, Regards, Nick
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 October 2002 15:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Hi There a recent publication issued by the Hse - INDG368 - Use of Contractors a joint responsibility, available as a down load from their website that I am sure will get you off on the right foot. Hope that helps. Regards.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 08 October 2002 08:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By mike.mcdonnell Peter, The Co-operative Group has / is embarking on a major refurbishment / aquisitions programme and I have helped develope some H&S Procedures / controls in this regard and I would be more than willing to share / discuss with you. You can reach me on(m) 07900 698 856 / (w) 0161 827 5332 regards Mike MCdonnell