Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 October 2002 23:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Westhead
Could anyone help me with the following, I am after any information regarding marine flares. These are the type of flares that you see at football matches (thankfully not as often today) I need to know if there is a video or some guidance on this subject ie what PPE you would need to handle a lit flare etc. Any information would be greatly accepted.
thanks,
Dave
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 October 2002 11:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft
Dave

I would try contacting the Royal Yachting Association on this, they should be able togive safety guidance on the use of marine flares.

Ian
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 October 2002 16:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster
.....or the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (tel 0870 6006505)

Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 October 2002 13:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman
Dave,

It's a number of years since I left the sea, so I cannot be sure if standards have changed.
The situation you refer to appears to be an inappropriate useage of a flare.
However, in response to your question, the flares are normally for emergency use and are intended to be used without PPE. The instructions marked on them should be followed implicitly - which means a certain amount of training to prepare someone to use them.
If these flares are being set off under any other circumstances, particularly the projectile types, you will need to consider a 'safe system of work' due the risks that the flare will present to others.
The manufacturers should be able to provide suitable information - one name that springs to mind is Schermuly. The agencies already mentioned will probably guide you towards others.

Regards

Jim
Admin  
#5 Posted : 09 October 2002 22:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Westhead
Thank you for you responces,
I think I might have been a bit vague with my question, what I should really have asked is; What type of extinguisher (if any) would put out a lit distress flare once it was set off. I have been having a discussion with my local fire officer who does not agree with me. I seem to recall a few years back that I was informed by a coast guard official, that it would be very difficult to extinguish a lit flare as they are designed to stay alight under water and it would be safer to let it burn out and then extinguish the remains. Thanks again for the response, I have had a look at the various sites and have recieved some useful information.
Dave
Admin  
#6 Posted : 10 October 2002 09:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie
I have had a bit of experience with pyrotechnics.

If it is not safe to let them burn out I would use dry sand, which should be kept available in a covered bucket.

Dry powder, such as talc, is too light as these substances burn fiercely; wet sand is dangerous as the water will superheat and expand as steam, casting burning materials over a wide area.

First response fire fighting, even by professionals, is hazardous (these are, after all, low order explosives) and if at all possible you should let them burn and concentrate on reducing the spread of fire by drenching surrounding areas.

Since most of these compounds contain their own oxygen they are extremely difficult to actually extinguish.

Gosh! Don't I sound professional?!!

Laurie