Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 October 2002 10:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess Is stress classed as an industrial injury? Where can I get some evidence one way or the other? I have been given differing opinions on this and would like some clarification and proof. Thanks in advance Greg
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 October 2002 15:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eddie Newall In a word, no. But rather than go over old ground again you will find previous threads on this if you search the chat forum. A good place to start is: http://www.iosh.co.uk/in...view&Forum=1&Thread=2935
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 October 2002 01:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Hi Greg, Interesting point and to play the Devil's advocate I believe that work induced stress is a industrial injury. At least it should be ! I suppose the question is what is the definition of a industrial injury or is it ill health in the case of stress? Eddie says no it is not and I respect Eddie's opinion (but I would like to see some proof). I have checked the archive for the previous thread he mentions but I cannot find it. Evidence - The HASW Act Section 2(1) states: 'It shall be the duty of every employer to ensure, so far as reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all his employees.' Health per se covers mental health and stress (Morris, J, Health and Safety, 1997). Furthermore, should you wish to proceed with litigation for 'stress-induced psychiatric illness' a claim could be brought under the common law tort of negligence, or civil law 'employer's duty of care.'(Bridges, K, SHP May edition, 2002) If the above does not constitute to an industrial injury, I would welcome someone to provide the evidence. Ray
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 October 2002 09:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Greg, this rather depends on what you mean by 'industrial injury'. ' Industrial injury' is a defined term in social security legislation and indicates the illnesses for which compensation is payable under the scheme. Stress is not defined as an industrial injury, under that legislation. Stress is also not reportable under RIDDOR; I know you did not ask this but it is often asked. If on the other hand you are asking whether stress is an occupational health issue (outside of the social security legislation the term 'industrial injury' is rather dated now) then yes of course it is. It is not a disease or illness per se but it can lead to illness. As Ray points out there is a legal obligation under HASAWA to ensure the health at work of employees and this includes their mental health. There is also a civil law duty of care; a breach of the duty can lead (and has led) to claims for compensation. So what exactly are you asking? Jack
Admin  
#5 Posted : 25 October 2002 16:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess Thanks for the responses so far. In reply to Jack. I was asking the question from a HR point of view. Someone off on long term sick due to stress. This may be work related (in fact probably is). HR asked whether it was classed as an industrial injury because this obviously depends on whether they go down to half pay or not and if we say yes this is an idustrial injury are we then automatically accepting liability and leaving ourselves open for a claim. My personal feeling is that it is not classed as an idustrial injury but I have been given differing opinions from others and was interested in what others felt about it. Thanks to everyone again. Greg