Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 October 2002 14:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Jenkins Dear All Following a recent incident I am trying to improve the way we lockout/tagout plant/equipment such as Air Handling units. Does anyone know where I can get access to good examples of Systems of Work for locking out equipment & any other relevant information. Best wishes Brian.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 October 2002 19:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle HSE has a published document on this very subject. I cannot readilly recall the exact name, but a search of the HSE Books web site will no doubt illicit results. best regards... Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 October 2002 22:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood Brian, these systems are based on petro-chem and electricity industry standards and the HSE Document (now very old) on the subject gives a reasonable overview of 'Permit to Work' systems in the chemical industry. This is a highly bureaucratic and competence based system with considerable investment needed to implement and maintain. Tagout is an American-Australian system which relies on competence and procedure to ensure safety. It does not ensure ultimate high standards and leading American companies are changing to permit to work systems now, based on the UK electrical industry standards - among the best in the world. Should you wish details of such systems, there are a few consultants about who help the electricity industry achieve their high standards and I can recommend some to you if you email me. You can also approach the Electricity Association at Millbank, London for help if necessary. There are slightly simplified versions of the EA supported systems available but you need expertise to implement them. Not an easy task - but not impossible! You simply need the managerial support and vision to be best! Regards, George