Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 31 October 2002 11:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft In one department of our organisation there is no room to put a copier anywhere but in one of the offices, one employee has said that he considers it to be unsafe due to harmful fume emissions. Can anyone advise on what precautions would be reasonable in this situation.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 31 October 2002 11:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall The main issue may be ozone. There is a good document to look at www.hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/90-2.htm It is document LAC No 90/2.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 31 October 2002 11:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Ian Do a search in the archive, there was a thread on this a few months ago that may be useful.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 31 October 2002 14:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede Would not make sense to go back to the manufacturer and ask them what the emissions from the copier are. Then you can do a risk assessment factoring in the harm occurring from the machine (if any) and any naturally occurring ventilation in the room. If you perceive a risk then you can implement control measures such as providing the machine with suitable ventilation or (even better) replacing it with one that is more safety and environmentally friendly. At one office I worked in many years ago there was a prehistoric copying machine that exhausted ammonia. Until a new member of staff was recruited nobody had noticed that the extractor system had failed!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 31 October 2002 14:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Could be Ozone, heat, light, fumes, dust, toner powder, etc. Good ventilation (eg air extractor) is needed, don't site the machine where the flashing light is in someone's vision or where exhaust emissions and heat will be in close proximity to someone's workstation.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 November 2002 14:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Higgs Ian, I agree totally with what Ken says. In addition - I did some monitoring for ozone using detection badges which give colour changes in 4 bands (up to 210ug/m3 ozone conc). On 5 separate occasions with photocopiers I only found one where the level was approx 150ug/m3 (0.075ppm) and all others <90ug/m3. I also monitored laser printers on two occasions and found 150ug/m3 in one room. These levels are below the UK OES. There is probably more hazard from fine toner particles. Some persons have complained of a distinctive 'smell' from laser printers used extensively. All told, these factors add up to having adequate ventilation wherever heavily-used laser printers and photocopies are located. Keith
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 November 2002 12:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Bullough From occasional conversations with the engineers who service my employer's photocopiers I gather that photocopy technology has changed and improved within the past few years so that less ozone is generated (something to do with "corona wires" if my memory serves me correctly). As well as having filters to deal with the residual levels of ozone which are produced, modern copiers apparently have efficient renewable filters to capture the very fine toner dust particles, and this appears to be borne out by experience - try running a finger over flat surfaces near the copier and it doesn't get as black as it does with older copiers. As with most machines regular servicing and changing of filters is important. Modern copiers also tend to be quieter than older ones. Thus for various reasons, it's worthwhile checking the age of your copiers and trying to get older ones which tend to be dirtier and noisier, etc. replaced by newer ones. (I've no connection with the photocopier trade and hence no financial interest in plugging the sale or hire of newer machines.) Where feasible, copiers of any age should be located away from people's desks because they still emit some noise and heat, and in some cases, flashes of light from under the lid. The frequency and duration of use is also a significant factor. Lots of users can cause noise and visual distraction for other people working nearby compared with occasional short duration use by a few people. p.s. Photocopiers are rather like cars - we can't really manage without them. Also considering the numbers of moving parts and processes which both photocopiers and car engines have, it's amazing that they don't break down more often!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 04 November 2002 12:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne Have a look at the UNISON web site, they do a good safety info leaflet on photocopiers.