Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 December 2002 15:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess
Hi everyone,

I am sure some of you will have come across similar in the past. We have an office in the original part of a nineteenth century building at the end of a first floor corridor. For a while now staff have complained about dry throats, tickly noses, sneezing, headaches and the like. There are no photocopiers etc. in the room the walls are painted and the floor is the usual type of carpet tiles. There is one plant which is not the culprit (this was brought from a previous office where there were no problems identified) and symptoms have occurred on days outside of the pollen season.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be the cause. I feel it may be poor air movement in the area and a dry atmosphere. But any other ideas before I go down to visit would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Greg
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 December 2002 09:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
There could be a number of contributing factors but I would want to check ventilation, flues, relative humidity and dust for a start.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 December 2002 10:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall
Greg

HSG 132 is a good bit of guidance if you can get your hands on it!
If you can't I can send it.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 December 2002 12:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bellis
Frequently, problems result from new occupation of an old buiding when the building is operated or maintained in a manner that is inconsistent with its original design or prescribed operating procedures. Sometimes indoor air problems are a result of poor building design or occupant activities.
complaints may result from other causes. These may include an illness contracted outside the building, acute sensitivity (e.g., allergies), job related stress or dissatisfaction, and other psychosocial factors.

Some possibilities are:- Inadequate ventilation: In the early and mid 1900's, building ventilation standards were very different these reduced outdoor air ventilation rates were found to be inadequate to maintain the health and comfort of building occupants. Inadequate ventilation, which may also occur if heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems do not effectively distribute air to people in the building.

Chemical contaminants from indoor sources: Most indoor air pollution comes from sources inside the building. For example, adhesives, carpeting, upholstery, manufactured wood products, copy machines, pesticides, and cleaning agents may emit volatile organic compounds (VOCs), including formaldehyde. Tobacco smoke contributes high levels of VOCs, other toxic compounds, and respirable particulate matter.
Combustion products such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide, as well as respirable particles, can come from unvented heaters,
gas appliances etc.
Chemical contaminants from outdoor sources: The outdoor air that enters a building can be a source of indoor air pollution. For example, pollutants from motor vehicle exhausts; plumbing vents, and building exhausts.
Biological contaminants: Bacteria, molds, pollen, and viruses are types of biological contaminants. These contaminants may breed in stagnant water that has accumulated in ducts, humidifiers and drain pans, or where water has collected on ceiling tiles, carpeting, or insulation. Sometimes insects or bird droppings can be a source of
biological contaminants. Physical symptoms related to biological contamination include cough, chest tightness, fever, chills, muscle aches, and allergic responses such as mucous membrane irritation and upper respiratory congestion. Legionella, has been a particular problem of late.

These elements may act in combination, and may supplement other complaints such as inadequate temperature, humidity, or lighting.
Of course theres also Radon and Asbestos... the list goes on..
When was the walls painted and what paint was used? Some gloss paints or even emulsions can give headaches and tight chests etc.

I think there is enough for you to investigate!

Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 December 2002 10:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess
Thanks for the responses.

Ken
These area areas we are going to be looking into.

Tony
I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy could you send me one please I will email my address to you.

Paul
Some really useful points to keep me going. Quite a few I hadn't considered!

Thanks again to you all

Greg