Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 December 2002 15:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Wright Refurbishment and extension work is being designed for a 2-storey school where a number of children are wheelchair users. The client (LEA) has asked that the design meets the requirements of the Building Regulations which means we have to provide space for 2 wheelchairs in the refuge on the first floor. However, it has been calculated that if a fire occurs and in a worst possible case scenario up to eight wheelchair users could on the first floor. The designers want to provide space for at least eight but the client wants it kept down to catering for two. Do we as designers design it in line with client requirements and then leave the school to do a fire risk assessment after it's been built? Are there any specific regulations which relate to fire escape provisions in 'special' schools with wheelchair users which would override those in the Building Regs? Or is it all down to the findings of a fire risk assessments? Any comments would be gratefully received.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 December 2002 21:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By shaun mckeever My suggestion is that you carry out a fire risk assessment at design stage. This will not only address the issue of disabled refuges but will also address other issues such as the insatllation of the fire alarm. You may not be aware that a new BS has just been released for the design of fire alarms which suggests that alarms should be installed based on the findings of a fire risk assessment. It is best to get these issues addressed at design stage rather than have to address things retrospectively. I remember as an enforcing officer for a fire authority having to tell someone to replace all his glass doors with fire resisting doors. If he had addressed the issue at design stage he would have saved himself a fortune.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 December 2002 09:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor The DfES Constructional Standards, whilst requiring general conformity with the Approved Documents to the Building Regulations, state with regard to Part B 'Where physically disabled pupils and certain pupils with other special educational needs are integrated within mainstream schools, particular attention should be given to means of escape as the general provisions may not be sufficient'. They then add additional requirements including reference to refuges but not referring to having sufficient space for the number of wheelchair users present - but do also refer to evacuation lifts as an alternative. The guidance publications from the DfES include Building Bulletins 91 and 94 but these also seem to avoid relating wheelchair space to users present. I would be inclined to discuss this issue with the DfES School Buildings and Design people and the numbers I have used in the past are: 020 7273 6165 and 020 7273 6719. Whilst we have had a number of new school buildings constructed in the past few years and included access for disabled persons, none have been specifically for non-ambulant disabled pupils in any numbers.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 December 2002 13:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman Simon, Your query has a number of potential implications. I certainly agree with he responses so far in considering that the problem should be addressed at design. Legislation, i.e. CDM confirms this approach. CDM requires designers to design safely. As the client is specifying a number, they effectively come under the umbrella of the designer. You may get a positive reaction if you identify to the person making the decision to limit numbers, that they could be attracting personal liability. Present groundswell re Corporate killing/unlawful killing may influence things. A further approach from the design aspect is to ensure that fire does not break out. If the decision is to limit emergency arrangements, a reason for that may be that greater resources are being piled into fire prevention. That could be worth discussing with those responsible. Unfortunately, a fire risk assessment after things are completed is only going to highlight a problem rather than actively do anything to resolve it. As we know a considerable number of people, including clients, hold safety in such high esteem until they're asked to pay for it. Money tends to speak louder! However, this could be an advantage if you come outside of safety and consider Value Management. The analysis techniques used in that field may identify that the option of two refuges could be far more costly then eight refuges when Through Life Costings are considered. Good luck. Jim
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 December 2002 19:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gemma Moat i would do whatever sounds right to you you have been in the building industry longer then the employer so you know whats going to be the best way .
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 December 2002 20:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wynn As safety profesionals we know the basic rules "safety by design" Intrinsic safety there are NO guarantees that as you say worse case scenario to many disabled people needing emergency evacuations with inadequate provision no way is ANY court in the land gonna side with your client but of course if it comes to prosecution then its too late!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 December 2002 22:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Whilst I like the suggested CDM Regulations approach and would be tempted to try it, the Regulations define the areas of design to which they establish duties (ie construction, working on the structure, demolition, maintenance). As these do not refer to provision for refuges, I would doubt if an action under CDM in this regard would be successful. There would, however, be a contractual obligation if included within the design specification by the client.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 09 December 2002 10:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Oliver Whitefield It may be worth noting that if the Client is specifying certain design requirements, then under CDM he will be classified as a Designer as well as the Client. In his designer role, he therefore has obligations to liaise with other designers such as yourselves, as well as fulfilling all the other duties of Designers, including ensuring his competentence to act as a designer, and also to carry out risk asessments of his designs etc. I would first make sure that his is aware of his duties under CDM as both a Client and as a Designer, and then if necessary advise him of the potential implications of failing to comply with these duties. Also what has the Planning Supervisor had to say about this? Hope this helps. Oliver