Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 December 2002 14:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess Hi everyone, I am looking at producing a RIDDOR procedure and was hoping that some of you may be able to provide me with copies of your own procedures or other advice to give me ideas of how different organisations have produced affective reporting and investigation procedures. Thanks in advance Greg
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 December 2002 18:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Bullough You might cause some confusion with your request because most readers probably associate the acronym "RIDDOR" with the process of notifying HSE about the types of injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences which the relevant regulations require to be reported. However, as your request mentions investigation and reporting procedures, you evidently use it as an acronym for dealing with all incidents, etc. within your organisation - of which notification to HSE forms only a part when applicable. In relation to directly notifying HSE, there are 3 ways of doing so to the HSE Contact Centre at Caerphilly in South Wales: by telephone, by the internet, and by fax (local call rate). Of these methods I strongly advise the fax method where feasible because it is generally the quickest and simplest. If you telephone the Centre I gather that you spend ages talking to a clerical officer who chooses categories from a computer screen and ultimately generates a multi-page copy of form 2508 which is then posted to you for checking. The internet version involves you doing the same as the clerical officer and still generates more paper than the normal 2 sided version of Form 2508. The fax version combines immediate notification (when it is required) and the provision of the Form 2508 information - which you could otherwise do by post within 10 days. Just keep a note of when you sent the fax on your copy of the 2 sides of the Form 2508 and then get on with other work! Hope this helps you and others with this aspect of reporting to HSE.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 December 2002 09:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft I send RIDDOR reports by email on an electronic f2508. When I send them I put a read reciept on the email and get notification of when it is opened and who has opened it. I got the original electronic f2508 from the HSE website, but it wasn't very good or user freindly, so after contacting them and getting their OK I have made my own (in excatly the same format) which works great. It is both quick and easy to do.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 December 2002 10:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Bullough Greg - sorry if we seem to be deviating from the main gist of your request. However, Ian's response was useful in letting us know that HSE will accept improved electronic versions of form 2508. Probably most of us consider the officially available electronic version to be poor and user-unfriendly. This begs the question of whether HSE is thinking about or could be persuaded to consider Ian's version (and any other versions)as a model for improving their version, so that notifiers can have the benefits of using e-mail without the current disadvantages. Sadly, from experience, it appears that too many people who "design" forms never think about those who have to complete them, e.g. by getting others to try out pilot versions and make critical but constructive comments where appropriate.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 December 2002 11:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess Thanks for the responses from you all. There are some useful points there and interesting to know that the HSE accept a form you have produced yourself. Graham was right that I should'nt have put RIDDOR. What I am after is how others have written their accident reporting procedures for staff to follow and how they go about investigating these accidents. This wil also include near misses, violence etc. We obviously have a procedure but it is not appropriately or fully written down in one place. Have others found a written procedure useful or have they used other methods of ensuring staff are aware of how to report? Thanks again for the responses so far. Greg