Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 December 2002 10:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Marie Dolman Can anyone advise me if there any guidelines on how often clinical waste bins should be emptied? We have a first aid room bin which contains the usual soiled dressings etc. (no sharps), however with approx 170 staff and I'm glad to say, few accidents, the bin fills very slowly. I am concerned that if the bin is collected only when full, it could be sitting there for many months which doesn't seem particularly hygienic to me. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Marie.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 December 2002 13:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott The bins too big then. Seriously though, depending on the nature and classification of your waste.It is generally accepted practice that if the waste is generated from an essentially "healthy" population and it is limited to small amounts of low risk waste it may legitimatley be disposed of in the domestic waste stream. Guidance can be found in the HSE's "Safe Dispoal of Clinical Waste" 2nd Edition ISBN 0 7176 2492 7
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 December 2002 15:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster I completely agree with Bill, and also suggest you have a look at Paul Ross's recent (27 Nov) thread on the same subject. John
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 December 2002 15:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker I'm with the others on this. Just so there is no misunderstanding, our first aiders take it in turns to personally place the bin liner of rubbish (emptied daily regardless of content) in the skip, ourselves.