Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 December 2002 14:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Jones Hi there, I have been given the task of carrying out Risk assessments for our leisure centres which includes swimming pools and dry sports centres. As I am approaching this for the first time I would appreciate any help. I would like to know if anyone has had experience in this area and if so, do you have samples of risk assessments carried out that I could have a look at. Or if no one has experience, then could you suggest other options. Thanks for your help Mike
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 December 2002 16:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Hi Mike A good place to start would be the HSE "blue book" which is HSG 179 - Managing H&S in swimming pools. It contains addresses of other organisations that can also provide advice on particular activities as well as dealing with H&S aspects involved with swimming.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 December 2002 08:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dennis Rutter Mike, if you contact your local authority education Safety Officer, they should be able to provide you with details of a publication from BALPE (I think that's how its spelt). Its all about health & safety in physical education and contains a wide range of good practice including requirements for both equipment & the environment. This should help cover many of the issues. Hope this helps Dennis
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 December 2002 08:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian McMillan The associations full name is BRITISH ASSOCIATION OF ADVISERS AND LECTURERS IN PHYSICAL EDUCATION and the book you need is SAFE PRACTICE IN PHYSICAL EDUCATION (Millenium Edition). BAALPE's website is at http://www.baalpe.org/ Hope this helps Brian
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 December 2002 08:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian McMillan Another useful source of information on this area is Institute of Leisure and Amentiy Management )ILAM). Their website is at http://www.ilam.co.uk/ More regards Brian