Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2003 11:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lorraine Dyer I have received a query on the use of latex gloves - a member of our staff has been told that puncture resistant gloves are now being used by Local Authorities since latex gloves can cause cancer. Does anyone know if this is true or just a rumour.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 January 2003 12:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment I can smell bull!! Two issues here Lorraine. Puncture resistant gloves are used for a variety of non medical uses and can be kevlar, chainmail, hide or v.heavy duty rubber. Latex gloves are used where body fluids are encountered but they have very limited resistance to sharps (slightly better than none!). Latex is a known allergen and sensitiser and causes quite a few problems in the healthcare sector. As far as I'm aware there is no evidence (yet) that links latex gloves with cancer. The costs of non latex gloves is coming down and in the not too distant future they will become standard. Hope this helps
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 January 2003 12:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bellis In my Local Authority, we issue Nitrile gloves. Whilst these are not puncture resistant, they offer some degree of protection against sharps and cuts, dependant on which specification you go for. We tend to use Nitrile lite for refuse collection etc, as this offers dexterity needed to pick up the refuse bags. For sharps specific collection we would use special kits to collect needles etc. If you contact Marigold Martin Stevens on 01992 456768 or mobile 07860 403362 I found him most helpful for advice and some samples! regards Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 January 2003 13:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Bennett There is no evidence to suggest that Latex gloves cause cancer, however a person with a Latex allergy can have an anaphalactic shock which in extreme cases can be fatal. Lee
Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 January 2003 08:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian D Another point to consider, a nurse forced to retire at 30, after developing a fatal latex allergy. The case has been refered back to the county court to determine damages. This case means that employers will be liable if they fail to protect employees from the danger of latex. (ref HSE mag jan 03)
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 January 2003 12:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Lorraine, Also see http://www.tuc.org.uk/h_and_s/tuc-5824-f0.cfm Regards, Peter
Admin  
#7 Posted : 09 January 2003 16:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison Dando Lorraine, I think that the person who told you that latex gloves are carcinogenic was getting confused with rubber chemicals that are used in the stages of rubber processing which produce rubber fume and dust (both these have MELs). In the past some of these rubber chemicals e.g. 2-naphthylamine and related chemicals which were used, were carcinogenic. Latex is natural rubber and the best place to see rubber trees growing in this country is down at the Eden Project in Cornwall. They also have a chewing gum tree growing down there as well.