Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 January 2003 16:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Norman Elkington Hi folks I'm a comaratively new memeber to this group and institution. I'm searching for a supplier of some form of alarm similar to a RACAL Firefly 'Man down alarm' that initiates if the person wearing it does not move for a preset time. We have one of these, but the company do not supply anything similar but with a facility to dial a pre-arranged telephone number. (e.g a supervisor in an ajeacent building). Our idea is to utilise this for lone workers (e.g.cleaners/care-takers) and also to incorporate a panic or assist alarm that the wearer could use in the event of emergencies. Any ideas please? Norman
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 January 2003 18:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Harry I tried those for an LA but they kept going off! Harry
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 January 2003 08:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Pedley Hi Norman, This has always been an area that requires careful thought and a responsible attitude by those involved. A risk assessment should be carried out for those involved. Given that the people you refer to are ambulant they should be able to activate and alarm if in distress therefore a device with a motion sensor might not be required. The lone working device you mention I understand was first developed for use with breathing apparatus and will keep going into alarm if a person is "motionless" for a period. I would suggest you browse a search engine for lone worker alarms. There are many new devices available that link in to telephone systems. Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 January 2003 09:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bellis One thing I have used in the past is a pendant alarm,worn around the neck or on a belt, linked to the mail alarm system of the building, this system is usually monitored by the alarm call company who would summon assistance. If you contact the supplier of the building alarm, they will inform you if that system is compatable and link in pendants. From memory i think it costs around £200. With regard to lone working and , you should instigate a lone working procedure, with a check in system to ensure that workers are safe periodically, this may be just a prearranged phone call by a supervisor or a security company or caretaker cleaner from another area on a buddy scheme, this should also be done at the end of shift. These systems of course depend on the risks in the building, you may need something more stringent. regards Paul
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 March 2003 15:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Mahoney Norman, Just found this request for info on lone working. We have been using a system, for about 12 months or so, that; Alarms back to the control/base station when the carrier is "down" Has a panic button Ccan be used as a telephone to make contact with the control/base station The supplier is Ascom and they will sell or lease hire the system to you. Give me a call if you need any more info. Best regards, Paul. p.s how's the MSc going
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 March 2003 10:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Norman Elkington Thanks to all who responded. We have sourced a system that will be suitable.