Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 January 2003 14:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards
We like you new web site it is speedy to load and very clean in appearance. Well done!

Lime One Ltd
www.limeone.com
0870 240 4325
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2003 15:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd
Not so much a response - more, another endorsement for the new style website; which, in my opinion, is excellent and gives a very professional appearence (and thank goodness the old colours have gone).

(And, the more I look at the new logo the more I see a 'C' infront of the 'iosh'; could this be a portent of things to come?)
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 January 2003 16:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Nice clean modern looking site but where has the old forum gone? - I use this occasionally.

Geoff
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 January 2003 11:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Website Co-ordinator
‘Nice to hear the positive comments. It's quite a team effort and I'm sure everyone involved will appreciate them.

Re the old forum - it was n’t ready on Sunday when Geoff looked as it’s put together differently from the rest of the site and needed some extra attention to get it ready for today our official launch date. It’s visible again now, with its usual link in the right hand column of this page. Click through and you’ll find the previous screen content with the search facility above it as before. If not, it just needs the cache clearing – Tools, options, general, delete files – for those who’ve not met this before.

Happy surfing

Angela Wheatcroft
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 January 2003 11:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
Angela
One little niggle is the fact that the colour does not change once you have viewed a response or posting. This is often a useful marker of where you have been or where you have reached, particularly in long threads.

Bob
Admin  
#6 Posted : 13 January 2003 13:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neal Robertson
Well done team, very crisp, clear & professional - I never liked the old colour scheme. Must agree about the "changing colour when read" thing mentioned earlier.

Is it possible include hit counters for each topic? It would be interesting to know how many people read a particular thread without posting a reply.

Keep up the good work
Admin  
#7 Posted : 13 January 2003 14:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Rest the mouse pointer on the folder for the thread heading
Admin  
#8 Posted : 13 January 2003 15:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Just following up on this comment. On each forum index list of thread titles, the link will change to black when that thread has been visited. The effect will last until your browser cache is cleared.

Regards,

Angela Wheatcroft
Admin  
#9 Posted : 13 January 2003 15:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neal Robertson
Geoff -
You live & learn, I`e been using this forum for months now and never knew that !

Cheers
Admin  
#10 Posted : 13 January 2003 17:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Angela,

Let me add my own appreciation of the new style for the website - which looks far smarter and seems easier to read.

At the risk of opening another hornets' nest or incurring wrath from on high, could we have an addition to the descriptive paragraph on the home page referring to the chartered status?

Ken
Admin  
#11 Posted : 14 January 2003 10:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Do I detect a waspish sense of humour? Punning apart, there is a reference to the Royal Charter on the home page – just scroll down the screen. In addition, we may revise the main description after 1st April, which is the actual date of incorporation by Royal Charter.

Angela Wheatcroft
Admin  
#12 Posted : 14 January 2003 14:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Thanks for your reply, Angela. I know it's in the small print at the end - but, as one who welcomed the news, I want IOSH to be visibly proud of the achievement and cannot understand the continuing reticence.
Ken
Admin  
#13 Posted : 14 January 2003 23:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt
Probably it's my eyesight, but the new font seems a little too small for me. I use a 19 inch screen and still find that I have to peer at it to read the Forum. Any comments?
Admin  
#14 Posted : 15 January 2003 01:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart
Allan,

Happy New Year.

It comes to all of us with "Time", afraid its your eyes.

Try altering the text size on your screen by using the "View" function from the top Tool Bar and then click on "Text Size" and then on Largest.

I would add in contribution to the other comments in this thread that this new layout and colour scheme, text format, and the clear, crisp and uncluttered screen etc., "Does it for me"

Well done to all involved.

Regards.
ken Urquhart
Admin  
#15 Posted : 15 January 2003 15:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt
And Qin Nien Kwai Le to you too!

Having been a glasses wearer for some time now, and a regular user of IE and other browsers for even longer, I can tell you that it isn't my eyes that are the problem. If you change the text size as you suggest, the odd thing is that it doesn't enlarge the centre messages, just the surrounds!

And I'm sure that the text size used here is smaller than before, and also smaller than most other Web sites.

Allan
Admin  
#16 Posted : 15 January 2003 17:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Allan

Surprisingly! I agree with you. The font is a little on the small size. I didn't like to say before in case I was nitpicking.

I saw in the news recently that the same thing happened at Swanwick with the CAA with the controller displays - the designers can read the screens OK, but some of the users eg the air traffic controllers, are having difficulty with it.

The last I heard there was the threat of an improvement notice hanging over them.

Geoff

Admin  
#17 Posted : 16 January 2003 10:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Wilkins
Allan

The reason that the browser text size setting has no effect is that this web site has fixed font sizes. If you look at the style sheet (http://www.iosh.co.uk/layout/iosh_new.css for those that are interested) you will see that all of the specified styles use fixed font sizes, mostly quite small such as 11px.

Nowadays this is considered bad practice as it removes control from the viewer and is a product of designers still thinking of trying to control page layouts. The small sizes are paradoxically made worst by modern higher resolution monitors.

Further, it does not meet current accessibility criteria aimed at those with impaired vision and possibly falls foul of the DDA. Fonts should be specified in relative sizes such as % or em which allow users to choose their most comfortable size.

Simon
Admin  
#18 Posted : 16 January 2003 10:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Wilkins
Having just criticised the use of fixed font sizes, I felt I ought to redress the balance a little by prasing the fact the site works well in a text only browser (such as Lynx). This means that it should also work in text-to-speech browsers for the blind.

However, it does not validate as correct HTML - try the IOSH home page on the validator at http://validator.w3.org/