Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 January 2003 17:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE

Does anybody know of a minimum width of a confined space entry point.

If there is one, then anything below that would be classed as a inspection cover/hole?

Will it depend on the assessment,taking into consideration the rescue plan?

I have heard mentioned that 18" is the min, but not sure this is correct

Any help most welcome

Steve
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 January 2003 11:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Steve.

See Appendix 2 (page 38) of 'Safe Work in Confined Spaces' Confined spaces regulations 1997 ACoP.

This refers to the relevant standards for manholes and other access openings to confined spaces and provides the relevant British standard numbers applicable.

As far as manholes and entry points that are already insitu (e.g. old manholes etc in roads) these, as would all access ports etc, be part of the subject of a risk assessment prior to any entry (if unavoidable) taking place. If the access was so small as to severely limit access/egress and rescue in the event of an emergency, it may well be necessary to consider alteration/replacement to enable reasonable access/egress to the confined space. This is considered under the section in the CS regs on meeting the requirements of the CDM regs, both for new construction and improving existing structures. In addition to reading the CS regs, see details below.

The standards quoted are:

BS8007:1997 - Design for concrete structures for retaining aqueous fluids.

BS5502:Part 50 1993 - Code of practice for design, construction and use of storage tanks and reception pits for livestock slurry

BS8005 Sewerage Part 1 1987: Guide to new sewerage construction

BS ISO 9669:1990 Series 1 freight containers - interface connections for tank containers

Silos UK: Draft design code for silos, bins, bunkers and hoppers.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 January 2003 08:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Pedley
Steve,

The 18" was quoted in the Chemical Works Regs that have been superceded by the list Stuart mentions in his response to you.

Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 January 2003 09:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Oliver Whitefield
Steve

New manholes and the like which require man access are generally designed with a clear opening of not less than 675 by 675mm.

Oliver
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 January 2003 14:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE
Many thanks
For the replies

Steve
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 January 2003 09:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
I take it that, irrespective of what one calls the aperture through which one enters/exits, a confined space is still a confined space and the risk assessment approach should take into account safe entry, exit and rescue. 18" has been around for some time and was probably based upon anthropometrics. Seated audiences are to be afforded 450mm (18") seats where there arm arm-rests - although 400mm was used in the calculation for traditional bench type circus seats. However, with the increasing size of many of the population, I wonder how relevant these figures remain.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 22 January 2003 00:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Ken.

The opening requirements need to consider not necessarilly only the size of a persons bottom, but the size needed to safely access and egress in PPE, Breathing apparatus, room for rescue equipment, tools etc...etc...

In a lot of instances, even those opening within the prescibed limits (or perhaps even exceeding them) may prove to be tight, and Yes... the confined spaces regulations do refer to the need to consider a persons build in relation to the nature of the confined space where entry is unavoidable..

Stuart
Admin  
#8 Posted : 22 January 2003 08:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
I agree, of course, Stuart - and hence the need for assessment. I hope you don't think I was advocating the '18" idea' as I was simply suggesting where it may have come from originally.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 23 January 2003 21:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Ken.

Of course not old chap... No problemmo

Stuart