Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2003 10:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith

http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2003/e03003.htm

If you look at the above webb-site, the HSE is now encouraging the voluntary withdrawal from sale of nuisance dust-masks, also known as comfort masks or hygiene masks, and is urging the use of approved CE-marked disposable respirators instead.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2003 11:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft
This is not before time, this type of mask is only any good for stopping nuts and bolts being inhaled.

The first question I would ask is, what is the definition of "nuisance dust"?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2003 12:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith
“Nuisance dust” is not a phrase that I have used alone, however nuisance dust masks (as I believe) is a generic description given for a particular type of disposable RPE that does not have a CE mark or falls within the scope of a specific EN standard.

Whenever I do a RPE assessment, I always specify the type of protection required i.e. EN 149, FFP2 (medium efficiency).

I believe that dust is either hazardous or it is not and this can be identified through the process of undertaking a COSHH assessment.

In OH&S I would never use the phrase “nuisance dust” because of this.

However the Oxford Concise Medical Dictionary describes nuisance n. as any noxious substance, accumulating in refuse or as dust or effluent, that is deemed by British law to be injurious to health or offensive. It can also include dwellings, work premises, animals, and noise.