Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2003 20:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wynn
I would welcome some guidance particularly legislation so I can finally convince my Manager as to the benefits of an appropriate eye wash station.
He "banned" bottled stations from site a number of years ago saying that a supply of water from a tap is just as good (cheaper)
I wanted a "proper" plumbed in eye wash station but alas not enough cash available!
"A tap will do but according to the ST. Johns ambulance" he says but I have concerns with contaminants from a grubby tap which may only be used very occasionally, not forgetting whatever chemicals may be on your hands.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 January 2003 08:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Remember too that some emergency irrigation may require >10 mins.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2003 10:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Archer.
Dave,

Consideration should be given to the distance from the workstation to the point of the eye wash station taking into account of any obstructions that may be present and the substances that you are working with. As mentioned by Ken irrigation could be required for a period of time that obviously would not be available from a bottle. The advantages of bottled eye wash stations are that they can be located in the area where they will be stirile and easily accessed to provide almost instant relief.

Hope this is of use
Keith
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 January 2003 10:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Lucas
Dave

Been in a similar position - I've emailed you direct for you to contact me by phone, perhaps better than a long rambling note.

Regards

Ken
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 January 2003 10:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster
Perhaps too much emphasis is sometimes placed on sterility, at the expense of practicality. That said, bottled saline solutions are kinder on the eye than fresh tap water, and, as mentioned above, easy to locate next to the risk and move as work changes. Taps provide plenty of water for a long flush, but it is not easy to get someones head under most taps and hold the eyelid open. Labs are usually OK, the high lab taps with a bit of tubing attached ideal. Otherwise, install a plumbed in eyewash station to back up the plastic bottles.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 January 2003 11:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Bullough
The use of water from taps rather than eye wash bottles has long been advised for school science laboratories, notably by the CLEAPSS School Science Service. Tap water is blatantly better because it comprises a continuous and copious supply of water for flushing out a contaminant. The water supply requires virtually no maintenance and is sufficiently clean for first aid purposes.

A short length of rubber tubing should be kept available so that, when needed , the water can be directed to the affected eye. The tubing is best left in place on the tap, with a spare kept in a marked plastic bag in a visible place nearby. To avoid contamination (and the risk of back-syphonage) the tubing should not be long enough to reach into any sink.

For taps which are only used occasionally, it would be advisable to open and briefly run them at regular intervals. If any contamination is present, it will be rapidly washed away by subsequent cleaner water. Water from tubing on taps can also be used to cool burns and flush chemicals off skin and clothing.

Tap water may cause discomfort because it will tend to be cooler than water from an eye wash bottle. However, if you've got something nasty in your eye your exclusive concern will be to dilute and flush it away. Using existing taps is probably easier in terms of cost, space, etc. than providing dedicated mains water eye wash stations. If flexible tubing won't fit existing tap outlets or they are not high enough, it might be better to obtain adaptors or change the outlets.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 30 January 2003 10:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Large
My view as a first aid trainer:

Access the likely contaminant and the distance from irrigation.

If the contaminant is particularly nasty so that immediate access to irrigation is more than desirable then an eyewash station is advisable. Use the bottles there for first line of treatment but then head for a tap for running irrigation (remembering that the contaminated eye is always placed down side so that contaminant isn't washed into the other eye).

If its going to take some time to get to a tap (i.e. remote from wash facilities, in the field) then I also advise and eyewash station because of the fact you don't have quick access to a tap.

Given the choice of bottle over running water then running water is best.

If the cost of saline is an issue then buy bottled mineral water instead. Its cheaper, sealed and sterile and meets all the requirements of eyewash.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 31 January 2003 14:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
I work in an industry where access to both of bottles and fitted stations is not practicable, best solution I have come across is a portable eye wash station.
Basically a fire extinguisher type device which is under pressure and has an eye attachement.

Trust me these are very good indead and the guys like them easy to use and effective.

Only initial outlay and change the ater every month.

Person takes it with them and leaves beside the aircraft while they work on the systems.

Admin  
#9 Posted : 31 January 2003 15:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
So - to summarise.

Use tap water where it is available and eyewash where it isn't.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Geoff
Admin  
#10 Posted : 01 February 2003 21:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie
In the last five years I have found out of date saline solutions on three separate occasions. It is important to have a procedure for checking and changing bottles - Yes I know it's obvious, but it doesn't always happen

Laurie