Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 January 2003 16:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Ball
Dear All

We are currently in the process of reviewing our ticket sales offices in relation to the DDA and as a result of a re-branding.
Currently some offices have security screens and some do not, the screens are of various types and frankly, quite old and scruffy.
I need to develop a uniform(ish) approach to sales counters, I am happy with the ergonomic side of thing but I would appreciate your views on security screens.
Are they of benefit?, what are the pitfalls?.
What other options are available that provide adequate security to staff but still allow good customer service for all including disabled users.
I personally favour high and deep counters with a raised platform staff side, but this causes a problem for wheelchair users.
I would assess that the majority of our locations are low to medium risk, cash is secure and frequently collected by security firm. Very few previous incidents of actual assault but we do get "stroppy" customers quite frequently.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

rgds
Robert
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 January 2003 13:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman
Robert,

Unfortunately I cannot provide you with the advice you seek, but I can relate what I came across whilst working for a local authority.

There is a good possibility that you will get input from the 'Politically Correct' brethren, you will find that practicality then goes out of the window. You have started to allude to the sort of problems that may come up when you consider persons with disabilities.

In my instance, the 'powers that be'decided that they wanted offices, where the public visited, to be less imposing and forbidding - I think they were refered to as being like 'fortresses'. To the best of my knowledge, technical approaches like risk assessments or the considerations of previous violent attacks did not merit any real consideration. These offices became 'Open Plan' and were subject to things like visitors hurling DSE screens about and diving over low desks at employees.
Apparently the trend developed for all moveable objects to be secured down - had a bit of effect on the adjustability element of workstations.

I'm sure that you will get some good constructive responses, but be sure that you can give a rock-solid reason/argument for why you are doing what you will do. That way you avoid some of the problems I refer to.

Good luck

Jim