Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2003 13:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess I am looking into the safety of interview/meeting rooms used by Social Services. I have been asked to assist with an audit of all the rooms used. Has anyone else done anything similar to this and have they got a pro forma/guidance/info on this i.e. what to look for, standards, how to improve rooms etc. I would be really grateful for any information you could provide. Thanks Greg
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2003 16:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Greg I have been involved in this. You need to first consider the layout of the room so that the interviewer has their back to the door as an escape route if things go pear shaped, so the interviewer must show the interviewee where to sit. An emergency panic button should be available, TOGETHER WITH A PROCEDURE FOR ACTION WHEN IT IS ACTIVATED!! Avoid anything that the interviewer could be attacked with such as cups, ashtrays, bins, coat stands, books, vases etc etc. For serious interviews where it is likely the interviewee may get angry, consider the use of doors which open both ways - you don't want to get trapped by an inward opening door...... and also consider WHERE the interviewer runs to in the event of a problem. Hope this helps Regards, Eric
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2003 19:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murphy Greg. here are some of the things we implemented in the interview booths at our obe stop shop. If you wish to discuss in more detail please give me a ring.  All staff acting as receptionists are trained in recognising and dealing with physical and verbal abuse.  Silent alarm sited at PC’s at each booth/interview room. Panic alarms sited at each booth/interview room.  Two security officers in attendance in Merton Link at all time. CCTV surveillance in operation.  Policy to remove/ban persistent abusers in place to be rigorously implemented.  Visitors who appear to be agitated or upset or known to be potentially violent are to be interviewed in specific interview room and/or two-person attendance with security in the vicinity. (Q-matic system to identify higher risk clients)  Expectant mothers to be instructed to leave at the first sign of agitation. Not to continue with interview.  Heavy chairs for interviewees,  Wide tables provided. Staff instructed to work at, and positioned at the widest point).  Clear desk policy for all interview rooms.  PC Equipment locked down.  Staff use five star roller chair to make movement away from desks easier.  Doors to passageway behind interview rooms and staff entry doors to booths have coded locks for additional security.  Expectant mothers not interview known potentially violent clients.  HB staff to use allocated booths in area B. In the event they need to evacuate as a result of threatened aggression, staff will vacate the area through the rear door to either the print room area or into the lift well to security or other floors. Public entry doors to interview rooms have blanked locks inside door. Doors to rear passageway (place of safety) have assisted closing device and snib lock on outside of door so that it can be locked after exit if required). Hope this is of use
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 February 2003 15:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Waterton we have produced a document on guidance when using interview rooms for our social work dep't..if you email me i will send a copy. djwater67@hotmail.com