Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2003 15:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Just been browsing the careers forum and the diffirence in salaries offered and the qualifications needed to perform H&S jobs is vast.
The lower paid job (-£10k)wants the better qualifications and experience and the assistants job with Cert is still vastly greater.

realise that their are differences in location and employers London V West Country NHS v LA however until we can get some comparability how do we move our profession forward?

Any comments for discussion.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2003 15:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne
Dave,

Just had a look at the careers forum myself and noticed an LA post in South Devon offering between £16,371 & £21,921 asking for the NEBOSH Diploma and enforcement experience. I left Local Authority over 7 years ago when the salary was not much less than this.

In today's market place, this salary is about £10,000 below the reality level for someone with that level of qualification and experience and just goes to confirm that the only place to get paid what your worth in HS&E is in the private sector.

However, employers will no doubt continue to get away with paying a pittance and only the lack of applications and poor standard of those that do apply may get them to review the value they place on HS&E.

Regards,

Paul Craythorne

Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2003 15:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Cant agree more Paul, I left the LA sector some years ago and you are quite right in what you say.

I find it quite alarming that employers want a certain level of qualification and are not willing to pay for that.

Pay peanuts etc. Do they really realise the time effort, money, commitment, heartache which individuls, sometimes with no help from existing employers, required to get MIOSH by examination and then RSP status.

Market forces???