Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2003 16:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Tail lifts in goods vehicles are obviously mainly for use in lifting loads. But some jobs need the driver to be stood on the tail lift whilst it is being lowered or raised and in many cases there are foot operated controls on the tail lift. Question: Should the lift be classified as a passenger lift and be statutorily inspected at 6 monthly intervals or as a goods lift and inspected annualy. Thanks Geoff
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2003 10:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Wilkins I think that considering the environment that tail lifts operate in, and the potential for damage and wear due to dirt, that an assesment would suggest inspecting at least every six months anyway.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2003 13:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Bennett There is no formal requirement for the tail lift to be inspected six monthly as the primary function of it is to move goods not persons. However the tail lift should be inspected at least every 12 months or in accordance with an examination scheme which as the previous response alluded to could be more frequently. Regards Lee.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2003 14:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Mains Geoff, couldn't you include the maintenance of the tail lift in the service schedule for the vehicle. I am assuming that if the vehicle is used for deliveries then it would be building up sufficeint mileage to be serviced at least every 6 months anyway.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 February 2003 11:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis If it is used for lifting persons, even occassionally it is every 6 months. LOLER regs 5 and 9.3.a) apply. The other answeris to stop them standing on it whilst in use but that is almost impossible to supervise. There is no proviso to exempt occassional use from the requirements. Bob
Admin  
#6 Posted : 13 February 2003 11:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson What does it say the Vehicles manufacturers handbook, How many do you have and at what cost of inspection, If theze are the ride on type with the buttons attached to the 'lift' then it me be that LOLER says every 6 months then thats it sorted! suggest you phone your Employers Liability Inurers and get their view as if it goes wrong mate, they get the tab for damages and you get the cost of fines etc.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 13 February 2003 12:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Bennett Question is is the lift designed for lifting persons? If the tail lift is operated by the driver standing on it then yes it is an accessory Ffor lifting and should be examined at least every six months. If it is not designed to lift persons then the operators should not be riding on it and the requirement for thorough examination will be at least every 12 months or in accordance with an examination scheme LOLER 1998 Regulation 9(3) furthermore the ACOP of regulation 5 states that the raising and lowering of people which is not specifically designed for the purposes should only be taken in acceptable circumstances where it is not practicable to gain access by less hazardous means. Regards
Admin  
#8 Posted : 13 February 2003 13:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Edward H Tail lifts should be manufactured to either BS EN1756 Pt1 for 'goods' lifts or to the draft std. prEN1756 Pt2 for passenger [welfare] lifts. Either standard accepts that the operator will ride up & down on the platform and stipulates various means of protecting the operator. LOLER states that if the tail lift is used in conditions likely to cause deterioration [and I think that on the back of a truck exposed to salt, spray and impact qualifies...] and it is used for lifting persons then EITHER it must be examined at least every 6 months OR it must be examined in accordance with an examination scheme, [which could specify intervals longer than 6 months].
Admin  
#9 Posted : 13 February 2003 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Spot on Edward H. I thought I'd better go to the horse's mouth on this one. Edward's interpretation is precisely the same as the HSE. It would normally be every 6 months but could be longer depending on an assessment by a 'competent person'. Thanks for the responses. Geoff
Admin  
#10 Posted : 13 February 2003 13:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Ayee A useful source of guidance (in addition to the ACoP) is HSE's Contract Research Report 429/2002 "Thorough examination and inspection of particular items of lifting equipment". In this case Annex 12: Thorough examination of lorry tail lift is relevant. This document not only comments on how often for thorough examinations but also on what should be checked. It also covers periodic inspections (e.g. pre-use & weekly). It can be downloaded from the HSE website. Simon Ayee
Admin  
#11 Posted : 13 February 2003 13:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker As an aside: I actually encourage our drivers to ride the tail lift (they have controls in their hand) as I consider it less hazardous than jumping off the back of the truck. Yes I know they shouldn't do that either, but this is taking into account the real world. And yes, they are tested every six months assuming they are passenger lifts.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 13 February 2003 13:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Do remember that if you are opting for the 9.3.b) option this is a written scheme route and an inspector will want to see the written scheme. It is often amazing how quickly this option can disappear over the hill when the competent person is asked to put it in writing. Given the regular servicing intervals on such vehicles I don't know why it should be subject to an extended test interval. Bob
Admin  
#13 Posted : 13 February 2003 14:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Bob Its possible that the extra costs and admin complications are something to do with it, or it could simply be a matter of their past misinterpretation of the regulations. Geoff
Admin  
#14 Posted : 17 March 2003 16:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Tail lifts now being statutorily inspected at 6 months! Thanks for all the responses. Geoff