Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2003 06:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frankie Mellon How can I take the Zzzz out of safety? I have got a good noticeboard in a prime location, and I have identified advertiser's heaven, a well stared at spot in a public place, that's right the blank wall above the urinals and the back of the cubicle door. All I need now are some ideas about attention grabbers,eye catching posters, witty one liners etc. Things that will get people thinking. Iam in an office environment and would like to focus initially on DSE, slips, trips and falls, Manual Handling, and occupational road risk. All our staff attend IOSH accredited training but they still need prompting and this would be one of a number of initiatives. I have got good access to legislation and publications but I want something different. All ideas welcomed, could this be the thread that challenges the response total of the great 'charter debate'.....?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2003 08:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin Street MIOSH,RSP Frankie, You can’t beat a bit of toilet humour: ‘Pay attention to safety or something else will go down the pan!’. as for DSE , or manual handling I'm not sure repetative strain or kenetic lifting are issues for the toilet environment.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2003 09:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott How about - "You are looking at the person responsible for Health & Safety" stuck on the mirror above the wash hand basin. And the same message on the wall behind in reverse.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2003 11:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis So are there no women in your office! I actually find it amazing that we come down to effective exclusionism by thinking only males are worthy of being addressed. Perhaps they are having to sleep through being ignored for so long Bob
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2003 12:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frankie Mellon Thanks for the couple of responses so far, as for Robert where does the gender issue come into my posting I thought I was relating to both genders when I mentioned the back of the 'cubicle' door. Anyway no offence intended and apologies to any I may have unintentionally offended. By the way I will make sure I get a female colleague to put any posters in the ladies toilet. PC gone mad......
Admin  
#6 Posted : 14 February 2003 14:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Frankie One of the most eye-catching signs I have ever seen was a speed limit sign at Connahs Quay Power Station in North Wales. The sign was a conventional speed limit sign, but the speed limit was set at 13mph. This really sticks in the mind as it is unusual. You may have also seen the new Nicorette adverts being posted yesterday "Welcome to Nicorette Country" as a skit on the old "Welcome to Marlborough Country" advert. I quite like these as they are unusual. I feel an idea for an IOSH competition coming on............. Eric
Admin  
#7 Posted : 14 February 2003 16:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West Ive even seen a speed limit sign set at 12.5 miles per hour. When questioned the Safety Manager exclaimed, "Nobody took any notice of the old speed limit!" Its true these kind of things work I seem to recall it's called the 'Von Rostoff' effect form my early psychology days. Kev Another thought. I have also seen the poem "I chose to look the other way" written on the back of a WC cubicle door in the style of graffitti. The safety manager certianly knew that we all read the graffitti while in the loo!!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 15 February 2003 05:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart Hi, Be careful, you may end up with a Graffiti problem. Perhaps you could provide a "White Board" in toilets for the would be Poets to display there skills and reaction to your Safety messages. Might save lots in redecoration or in having to put anti graffiti paint on the walls and cubicle assemblies. At least if they did write on the White board you would know that the messages were getting to there target.You could then copy and use the posted messages with a credit or by-line to the originator. (One FROM the White Board!!!!!!!!) Also try Notices with Unusual or even "What APPEARS TO BE OUTRAGEOUS" statements or headers and then place your message underneath. F C U K Yes that's what I said - F C U K Wev'e all seen it on Bill Boards and Advetrtising Boards in 1 metre high letters and immediately gone - They cant display that there!!!!!!!!! But it grabs attention and genereates reaction. For other "attention" grabbers to which you can add your Safety message or which you can adapt to become your Safety message look at some of the e-mail stuff that circulates; Slogans seen on "T" shirts, e.g. 20 things a man should know about a woman 20 things a woman should know about a man Think of the Car Rear Window stickers that used to be popular, see if you can adapt the messages to suit your needs: Young farmers do it in Green Wellies Glider Pilots do it quietly (As I typed this it just occurred to me that this might be a good one for Environmental neighbourhood Noise issues?) Try a Safety crossword on large wall displays, but watch out for Managers then complaining that personnel are taking too much time in the toilets. Try simple Slogans on Posters to cretae interest; For a few Days only Coming Soon. Watch this Space Having generated the interest over two or thre days with ever changing statements, then for just one or two days hit your audience with the real message. When you have removed it you can test awareness by encouraging feedback in the form of a simple quiz - Get your people to enter into your Safety Promotion or ideas box a simple card that states what that Week/Month/Quarters Slogan or Special message statment was. Also on this simple reply form request the respondent to suggest another Slogan or Statement for future themes or campaign. Contribution means ownership especially if you use or publish individual personnels submissions. Just some ideas that might be of use. "Remember" Only Roninson Crusoe had everything done by Friday Regards. ken Urquhart