Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2003 14:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Renny Thomson Has anyone had to fit Roll Over Protection Systems to ride-on mowers that are used on slopes? Or did your risk assessment show that the stability of the machines, along with the competence of the operators, mean that the risk of overurning was acceptable?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2003 16:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West I was under the impression that all 'ride on' machinery had to be fitted with roll over protection (ROPS). The PUWER Regs allowed a period of time for all existing machinery to be replaced or at least fitted with ROPS (the transition period) where as all new machinery had to be supplied with it. This period has now elapsed and all 'ride on' machinery should have ROPS. So, in short, yes they should have ROPS on them. In my view, especially if they are used on banks (the risk assessment should highlight this). Kev
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 February 2003 14:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey Hang on I would agree with Renny - Risk Assessment is the answer to the problem. Manufacturers normally give good guidance on working on banks and slopes, this gives maximum degrees of banks and direction of work. ROPS are not required on all Ride on Mowers, however risk assessments for all mower operations is required.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 February 2003 17:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack You might find the HSE guidance helpful: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ais27.pdf It says: ' - - - but a ride-on mower used on slopes might need extra protection'. Note the 'might'; it's down to risk assessment.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 February 2003 19:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West My last paragraph in my original response summed up my thoughts on this. Rather than quote the regs verbatum I was paraphrasing the intentions of the regulations and the ACOP. Where there is a risk of a vehicle 'rolling over' precautions and control measures should be put in place. This is the intention of the legislation mentioned in my response. The final paragraph mentioned that a risk assessment should have identified that (especially on a bank) sit down lawn mowers are at a risk of 'rolling over' and so ROPS protection should be installed unless the need to mow banks can be eliminated of course. Maybe it would be wise to consult the HSE on this subject to get it from the horses mouth so to speak. It may also be wise to look at past cases where vehicles without ROPS have killed people and the company has correctly been fined. (recent article in site safe news provides such a case) I hope this clears up my view on this thread. I am sorry if it appeared that I was saying "By law ALL machines MUST have ROPS". We all know the law isnt that definitive, especially in health and safety law. Kev
Admin  
#6 Posted : 16 February 2003 19:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West I have just re-read my original response along with my last one and it seems I have completely contradicted the first line of my original response. I guess I was guilty of typing before really considering what I wanted to say. Apologies to all. Kev