Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2003 20:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By thomas mark evans i am considering doing a P402 Building Surveys and Bulk Sampling for Asbestos course !! Has anybody taken this course???? Is it worth while or a complete waste??.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 February 2003 09:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall The P402 is about surveying, but you should consider the S301 which covers the asbestos analytical side too. I assume that they are the only formal minimum qualifications required for asbestos surveyors and analysts. Therefore they are worth doing. The S301 is regarded by UKAS as a higher level qualification than the P402. If you have the equivalent of a NEBOSH Certicate, it would be useful before entering onto any course of this nature, as a basic knowledge of health and safety is very useful to get you through the legislative aspects of any course.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 February 2003 19:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Thomas. I have done the P402 and found it worthwhile, it is also required if you intend to do any surveying whilst the other qualification mentioned above is not. The course covers (in detail) the requirements of MDHS100 and the various types of asbestos and where they are likely to be found. The course I did was 3 days and quite intensive, with the requirement to did a simple but robust end of course examination and a sample survey (desktop) on materials shown and anaylised previously. This is stage 1 of a 2 part process. To get the cetificate you then have to undertake a minimum of 2 surveys and write a survey report complete with sample analysis and material assessment algorithm etc. The reports have to go to BIOH for invigilation and you have to sign a certificate of authoriship to say that it is your own work. For more information I suggest you visit the BIOH wen site at www.bioh.org Hope this assists...
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 February 2003 18:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By thomas mark evans Thank you both for such a quick reply!. It has made my mind up to do the 2 1/2 day course with Natas thanks mark