Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 February 2003 11:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Hann My company has had a Type 2 asbestos survey carried out by a UKAS registered company. They have identified asbestos in the building and put forward certain minimum recommended actions. We have no problem with most of these but are not sure about the following: "To mastic all joints between existing AIB boards with universal sealant prior to the encapsulation to bridge raw edge cavity" I can find no reference to this in all of the latest asbestos related HSE books / leaflets. Any help or advice gratefully received.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 February 2003 11:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall That's one for the Plain English Society?? Seriously though, I would ask the organisation to present the report in person to discuss issues over the report. I understand what they mean, but don't recommend that you tackle it yourself.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2003 11:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Just spoke to a mate who is a director of an asbestos removal and Insulation company and he tells me: You need to encapsulate the whole of thge board and particularily if the edges are 'raw' howver he says that thi sis usually done with a sealing solution to prevent fibre release, but if the gaps are quite big >5mm then they may use a sealant but apart from that it may be for cosmetic reasons. Hope that helps.