Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2003 11:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Has anyone encountered a manufacturer that is producing the complete range of illuminated fire signs to the BS requirements. All the electrical subcontractors we use have the same response with regards to the UP arrow which the BS states is to be used to go straight ahead or upwards to the exit route. Apparently someone in the industry produced a guidance note which shows the Down pointing arrow being used above an fire door and this has come to be the accepted norm and the UP pointing arrow is consequently not manufactured!! I am becoming tired of pointing out the error only to be asked "where can you get them?" Hoping - Bob
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2003 14:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By simon carrier Do you mean glow in the dark or illuminated with a light? sorry if I seem a bit thick, one of those days
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 February 2003 15:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Louise Nicholls Hi Bob If you want photoluminescent signs, try http://www.jalite.co.uk Hope this info helps. Louise
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 February 2003 19:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Never mind Robert - I know what you mean! Can't help though - sorry! Laurie
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 February 2003 09:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis As a matter of interest one or two have e-mailed me direct. It is apparently a common problem. On one occassion a Fire Officer has approved the non BS use!! Louise - It is the ones using a lumination source not the photoluminescent. A contractor has now said that they can be sourced and I am checking this out. What concerns me however as a result of this is why Building Control/ Fire Officers are happy to deviate from the BS requirements. It could be a good way of getting a claim. "I ran through the door and expected to go down but it was level so I fell over and broke my leg" Or am I just an old(ish) cynic? Bob
Admin  
#6 Posted : 28 February 2003 14:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve SE Try Menvier
Admin  
#7 Posted : 28 February 2003 17:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen J W Clegg. Try, www.safetyshop.com 0800 13 23 23 sales@safetyshop.com Good luck.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 01 March 2003 08:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Bob I agree with you about departures from the BS. About eighteen months ago I did an inspection on a new building and found the water type extinguishers had a base colour of chrome "because the architect thought it looked better"! This had been accepted by both the Firemaster and the Building Inspector. On enquiring further (on the Firenet) I was surprised to be told that there was actually no legal requirement to comply with the BS. I also seem to remember that if there is no "change of direction" i.e. if the arrow points up or down, the pictogram should be running to the right - this is another common area of non-compliance. Yes, I agree it doesn't really matter if the actual meaning and intent are clear, but what is the point of setting a standard and then ignoring it? Laurie