Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2003 13:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Vicky Pye Does anybody know what the maximum volume a fire alarm can be ?! Thanks !!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2003 14:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By simon carrier We have some sounders located around the building that reach up to 102dB, hurts your ears a bit!!!. However I have recently read that the max should be 85dB at 3m distance. Hope this helps.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 February 2003 15:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Vicky Pye Thanks ! I find this discussion forum very valuable!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 February 2003 16:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt My understanding is that it should be 6dB above the ambient noise level - no doubt I will be corrected if this is wrong. Geoff
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 February 2003 04:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rex Harrison At the company I work for we have printing machinery where the noise level can be upto 105dB so I presume Geoff must be on the right path. I am unsure at what level our fire alarms are set at, but you can hear them clearly when the machinery is operating (which is the most important issue). I can tell you they certainly let you know how many people are aware of your extention number when it gets stuck on for quarter of an hour.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 28 February 2003 08:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By shaun mckeever The maximum sound pressure in the new BS5839 is 120 dB(A). Generally you should be trying to acheive 65 dB(A) in normal circumstances or 75 dB(A) at the bed head to rouse people from sleep. Under certain circumstances 60 dB(A) would be acceptable. There is no scientific reason for the sound levels given in the standard. Also remember that the standard are recommendations not requirements.