Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 March 2003 12:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Stevenson Hi, I’ve been offered an exciting Health, Safety and Environment Managers position within a large IT Company looking after around 22 sites across the UK (3500+ employees). I’m confident of my ability; however, I recognise that this is a significant step up in my career. I would like to speak to (or meet) health and safety manager/s that have experience of managing H&S over many sites spread over a wide geographical area. I have many thoughts and initiatives on the most appropriate way forward, but I would like to take onboard some ‘peer experience’ before I start working at this level. I would really appreciate and welcome any advice. Regards Dave
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 March 2003 15:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen Eckersley Hi - I work for a NHs Trust in the north of Scotland. We have 6500 staff over 140 sites. The main focus of safety is to devolve the responsibility to the Line managers and my role is to support and assist where their is difficulty in particular areas e.g. manual handling, Working at height or other specific H&S topics. The emphasis therefore is to set up systems and policies which assist the process and to get onboard committment from the managers. This may require organisational change development which would require HR personell to assist in this change process. The idea that you can do everything for everybody is absurd! Yes you can set the agenda for development purposes(Strataegic direction) and have a contiunal process of H&S development for managers with action planned outcomes. I suggest you sit down with senior management and ask them what their vision of safety is for the future. They own the problem they will solve the problem with your assistance. Regards
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 March 2003 17:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt Dave, It would help to know where you are located if you want a chat face to face with any of us, or if you'd rather do it by phone give us a number? Allan
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 March 2003 11:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By lawrence baldwin Dave I am the HSE Manager for a multi sited UK and global company , my e-mail is lawrence.baldwin@bristow.co.uk if you want a chat. Lawrence
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 March 2003 16:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By smudge I have recently left a similar position covering from Norfolk to Surrey and from the midlands to Yorkshire. I agree with Stephen you must devolve responsibility to local managers. You cannot expect to carryout day to day activities if you are not there. I now have to work with some 45 sites all within the West Mids Fire Service but the problems are just the same, we have actively devolved responsibilkity and it works very well. I should point out that there may well be a training issue to establish some form of local competency.