Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 March 2003 15:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Bruce I am attempting to prepare a generic risk assessment on lap-top computers that we can issue to senior managers in order to provide a few pointers to consider when they risk assess use of this type of equipment. The intention being that this will help them choose the right equipment for the job. The generic assessment is very much an aide-de-memoir and is recognised as such in our organisation, so I'm not worried about people printing it off and claiming that they've done the assessment; this will be checked; by me! It will also be in addition to a proper DSE assessment once the equipment is allocated to a user. I'm very familiar with "work station" hazards, but a little uncomfortable with lap-tops (pun intended)! Can anyone recommend a source of information on this equipment and the specific risks it entails; or has anyone done a similar exercise and feels able to share their findings? Any comments gratefully received.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 March 2003 16:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott Ian, Hopefully, if our e-mail is working correctly after the problems we have had today, I have responded direct. Not sure where the info came from in the first place but useful all the same. Regards Dave
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2003 11:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I've not found a lap-top in use by a designated 'user' (ie significant and habitual use) yet that I could honestly say met the requirements and associated guidance of the DSE Regs (screen position/height, non-separate keyboard, size of keys, etc). Whilst they may be OK for a 'quick memo on the train' whenever used for any length of time they have needed either an additional keyboard of normal dimensions and raising the screen on a base or connecting the lap-top to a normal-sized monitor. There are companies who market 'kits' for converting these to nearer normality for use by users.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 March 2003 12:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Bruce Thanks to those that responded directly and on this forum. The information given has been a great help. Thanks again.