Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 March 2003 22:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Westhead This might seem a daft question but here goes. If a pro footballer breaks his leg, is it reportable under RIDDOR, or is there another body within the sport that deals with it. Thanks in advance Dave
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2003 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Good point, know of some pro footballers who need their legs broken! Would seem to be whether they are 'at work' maybe a Safety person from the PFA or any professional sports body, may be able to enlighten us.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2003 11:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By steve palframan Dave I advise a Premier League club and can confirm that such accidents need to be reported under RIDDOR (including any injury resulting in 3days+ absence - and there's plenty of them!). Nowadays the enforcing authority is the Local Authority - previously it was the HSE and I believe they had an agreement not to report unless the player couldn't even report to training. The requirement to report does bring the system into disrepute - lots of F2508s to fill in and for what purpose? Steve Palframan
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 March 2003 20:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Not just professionals. I used to work for a college which administered a sports centre on behalf of the LA. If anyone using the facility, which included roller hockey, mini gym, as well as the usual pitches and courts, was injured and taken to hospital it had to be reported. (Member of the public taken to hospital etc.) It played hell with my accident figures, and I had a tacit agreement with the enforcers that allowed me to use a bit of discretion. Laurie
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 March 2003 20:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Westhead Thanks for the swift reply, it has answeared my question. Just to add to the puzzle what if the player was a 17/18 year old etc. would this be different as they are young persons. Dave
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 March 2003 07:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Not as far as RIDDOR is concerned but you would have to undertake a risk assessment taking into account their lack of maturity etc if they were 17 (18 year olds are not 'young persons')!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 21 March 2003 23:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By sylvia To pick up on Laurie's response, although it deviates a bit, I have also had this about members of public playing sports, ice skating etc, and, after getting fed up with it all, in discussion with HSE they confirmed that only non-sport injuries came under the RIDDOR requirement. (Amateur - not pro players). This hangs around the phrase "Arising out of or in connection with work" RIDDOR guidance (paras 30 - 39) covers this, although doesn't use sports facilites in any of the examples. HSE discussion: if someone tripped on the way into the sport hall - reportable (assuming the severity applied); if were tripped by another participant during play, not reportable. This was the line taken in HSE EDIS1 guidance to schools about playground accidents too.