Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 March 2003 09:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Wright Help required I want to revise the current PTW system at the site I work at - currently the PTW system is 6 or 7 different permits all totally different - does anyone have a simple PTW system utilising ONE STANDARD PERMIT ??? I will be extremely greatful for any help
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 March 2003 09:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Peter There have been many requests such as yours on this site; you should search on 'Permit-to-work'. Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 March 2003 17:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Peter. Having some experience of permits to work, my advice is that the 'all singing - all dancing' permit to work is not always the best way forward. You need to assess what level of complexity of work the 'average' permit to work covers. For example; a simple confined spaces entry may require complex systems for safety to be employed and also the competency of persons issuing permits to work needs to be examined as well as those carrying out the task. Whilst a person may have a 'certificate' stating that s/he has been confined spaces training, often they have forgot how to employ a gas monitor or use an escape BA set. For my own part I always ensure they know their stuff by asking them to demonstrate to me how to use and employ the equipment. If they cannot do this they don't get a permit to work !! The permit to work should be able to identify not only items such as, location, date of work, nearest telephone (for emergency), work to be done ect, but should also identify the authorised person (issuing) the team carrying out the work, the safe system of work, isolations to be made, and a whole host of other items. The mulitple task permit to work is often too general to do this, so whilst it may be applcable for some simpler types of work requiring a permit to work, it may centainly not be suitable for all types of work which may well require specific permits of work to cover them. Lastly, I have found that in general, a generic type permit to work, because it does not cover many things that may need to be done, often permits mistakes or errors to be made. This is mainly due, in my opinion, to the following reasons; 1) the person issuing permits is not always competent to recognise all the elements that should be considered for the work/task, and 2) the employees required to undertake the task are not competent to recognise any errors or ommisions made or items not considered in the safe system of work that may effect the safety of the persons involved in the task. 3) The issue of permits to work - if they are numerous and all look the same, may become simply a paper exercise or chore and insufficient attention is paid to ensuring that the safe systems of work necessary to ensure safety in the work/workplace is employed/implemented as required. Hope this advice is of some use to you...
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 April 2003 13:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton We do use a generic permit to work system, it includes the various disciplines such as electrical work, roof work, construction, disjointing etc as tick boxes to identify the type of work being conducted. There are then a serious of boxes to be completed including, obviously, location of the work and the specific nature of the work, hazards within the area and control measures to be employed, PPE to be used, fire watch appointed and so on and a duration period for the permit. This is pretty standard. However, where this works for us is that there are only 6 persons on our site who are regarded as "competent" and have the authority to issue a permit to work. I am one, of course, the other five positions are held by four managers and our on site electrician. Permits are explained to the contractor prior to being signed by one of the authorised persons and checks are made to ensure all isolations are in place. The permit is then signed by the contractor confirming that he or she understands the requirements placed upon them. We fully realise that there are some instances where this may be too simple. However, we have a flexibility that allows this system to be backed up with risk assessments and procedures giving more specific instructions. I don't think the important thing, therefore, is what your form or forms look like, but more by whom they are being completed. Ensure that there is a very strict adherence to the idea of "competent authorities" and you will probably find that whatever system you use automatically becomes safer and more secure. I hope this helps you.