Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 March 2003 09:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeffery Jeal I'm trying to confirm which is the current inanimate handling technique safety trainers should be teaching staff etc. Who uses the basic technique? (squat etc,) who uses kenetic handling?, are there others?, which one is the best?, how do you know? If you were using the squat, or kenetic and have changed to the the other, why did you, found that staff could not do it, rise in handling injuries, feedback from managers saying staff were not doing it correctly. I'm after (but doubt if it will get)Qualitative and Quantitative evidence, rather than trainers feedback, does anyone have any???????
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 March 2003 09:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd I've not seen any reports of properly carried out comparative studies for the effectiveness of the various handling techniques. The approach adopted by the HSE, as I am sure you are aware, and that supported by the scientific evidence is that, having assessed the job, it should first be organised or designed in a way so as to remove (as far as is reasonably practicable) the handling risks - you should then be training (and selecting, if necessary) personnel to work within that system. The primary benefit of any training (in my opinion) is to make sure that workers are aware of the risks, and so when faced by such conditions they are more able to recognise the dangers and would, hopefully, take risk reduction measures. (There are also clearly training requirements in relation to any handling equipment that might be available for use.) The problem with training (whether kinetic or otherwise) is that a) there is little evidence to say that it reduces back injury incidence; b) it is dependent on the competence of the trainer; c) it is dependent on the worker following the advice given; d) it is dependent on the relevance of the training to the tasks of the worker, and e) it is dependent on the particular task (not all can be executed using 'prescribed' techniques). (Clearly, ergonomics is the only way forward.)