Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 March 2003 23:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith Has anyone noticed this new TV national banking advertisement last night, showing a scaffolding dismantling operation without a harness been worn?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 31 March 2003 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian McMillan Not half as bad as the children's programme (teletubbies) showing a bunch of kids having fun riding around a farmyard on the back of a trailer pulled along by a tractor. Or the dog driving the Renault Scenic wearing a seat belt that was designed for a human. Plenty of dodgy programmes and adverts out there Arron.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 31 March 2003 15:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Aren't you a bit old to be watching Teletubbies Brian?!!! Another programme for dodgy health & safety practices is Fireman Sam. They have cellophane coming out of their hoses when they try to put a fire out! Also what about Ground force. The big bloke never wears eye protection when he smashes up concrete, Charlie Dimmock is going to get a prolapsed disc (because of dodgy manual handling techniques) and the male viewers get short-sighted.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 31 March 2003 15:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Holliday Teletubbies & Ground Force have nothing on Home Front. Each week there are all manner of Manual Handling isues, confined spaces (a dodgy looking well) entered via a fit lad shinning up and down a rope and have any of the builders ever been issued with sunscreen? Not judjing by the sunburn on show! However, at least one of them wears safety specs occasionally, normally on top of their head but its a start.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 31 March 2003 16:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Archer. What about Bob the Builder hanging on to the side of moving plant. Good job most kids have fallen out with him by the time they get to do his job for real?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 31 March 2003 16:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker I think Bob the builder is great! How many construction sites do you know that have CDM communications so perfect that even the equipment knows what's going on.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 01 April 2003 09:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Perhaps you lot could offer your services to the television companies as health and safety advisers?
Admin  
#8 Posted : 01 April 2003 12:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Bullough It's worth mentioning that sometimes those responsible for TV programmes do try to get it right regarding the depiction of good health and safety practice. For example, when the trio on "Salvage Squad" (recently finished series on Channel 4) were doing hazardous tasks during their restorations of watermills, traction engines, etc. they tended to wear PPE and seemed to follow safe systems of work.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 01 April 2003 13:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West A number of television programmes show a variety of bad work / unsafe practices. I often refer to these programmes in my H and S courses as examples of 'What not to do!'. The examples already listed are by no means exhaustive. I often chuckle to myself watching some of the DIY type programs when they pay 'lip service' to safety by emphasising the wearing of a mask only to be obviously lacking in other PPE requirements etc such as hearing protection, skin protection etc. I have yet to see a certain Handyman by the name of Andrew wear his mask correctly! I think the television people are providing a good service allowing us all free access to examples of bad practice. They should, however, list it as such so that members of the public aren't left thinking it is acceptable. Kev
Admin  
#10 Posted : 01 April 2003 13:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede Surely there should be scope for individuals or IOSH itself to formally to the advertising authorities about poor practice. Such things are effectively being sanctioned by respected brands and organisations so inferring that it is all right to do things that way. This is no way to build a national safety culture where best practice is the only practice tolerated. I do sympathise to a degree with the childrens programmes. However even so I am sure the TV networks could hire a safety adviser to ensure that good practice is portrayed. Surely the story lines could cope with that! David Brede
Admin  
#11 Posted : 01 April 2003 14:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis The problem is that all stations do employ safety personnel but they are not seen as part of the production team - unless you now wish to drop a bungee person out of a cage on a crane, remember our Noel!!. The regular diet of poor practice on these sort of programmes is unlikely to stop unless there is an injury, which as we all know will lead to lengthy post mortem inquiries. Again reactive management rules KO!!!!!! It is not a breach of any broadcasting code to show attempted suicide and maiming provided good taste is not infringed. Forgive my cynicism but I feel this problem has gone on far too long. Bob
Admin  
#12 Posted : 01 April 2003 17:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Jones The Film and Television industry has a general disregard for health and safety. Although this is a generalisation some areas of the industry are arrogant enough to believe that they are exempt from the HASWA. The stunt industry being a prime example of this, comments I have heard on set “Health & Safety is pretty boring and not much to do with me it does not really affect me in my work in fact we probably break the Health and Safety laws every time we go to work” “Risk assessments are just a way to catch you out if something goes wrong” they seem to feel that they are exempt from the laws we mere mortals are subject too. It is surprising that in the last ten years there have only been two fatalities and maybe ten serious injuries (it is difficult to know as no records are kept) until you realise there are only two hundred stunt performer in the country of which only 50 are in regular employment. I will leave the math to you. Ian
Admin  
#13 Posted : 02 April 2003 08:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Whenever requests are made for filming in one of our premises, we hold pre-meetings with the applicants and, as well as going through health and safety checks, details of the storey-board, etc are required before a decision is made. Needless to say, a number of applications have been refused at this stage. I also endeavour to be present when filming commences and make spot-checks from time to time - whilst site management also keep an eye on things. I would have hoped that even greater influence and control could be exercised in TV studios but there does seem to be quite a bit of law-unto-themselves attitude around in the entertainment industry at times. I would like to see television used more for the promotion of health and safety at work - as well as on the road, at home, in leisure activity, etc. Whilst there seems to have been some increase in this lately a lot of incorrect 'messages' need to be redressed. In particular, the public service advertising slots could be more integrated with the commercial advertising programme breaks rather than relegated to times when few are watching. The contrary argument has always been one of cost - but this could be offset against national expenditure on the consequences of accidents. Perhaps IOSH, HSE, RoSPA, CAPT, IRSO, CACFOA, etc could make joint representations to Government in this regard supported by Health Service and other statistics?
Admin  
#14 Posted : 02 April 2003 13:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman Interesting comment by one response saying that the film/media industry is above H&S legal requirements. Recently, various H&S publications have included details of a local radio station prosecution. BRMB were fined for getting contestants to sit on dry ice - result was a number of serious injuries.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 03 April 2003 15:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeff Manion Some of the BBC are aware of H & S, I work as a independent safety consultant and was contacted by them over CDM, It was not required and they used the internal safety advisers. They were ill informed over CDM by a major house builder on the Thames (London). Jeff Manion WWW.groveservices.co.uk
Admin  
#16 Posted : 03 April 2003 20:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Sandler Dear all, You have all pointed out the faults in different TV programms, what have you as Safety Practitioners done about it? Are you all members of IOSH? Have you read the Charter that we have? Fact, actor using a mobile phone on a scaffold. What was happening on the public highway and the scaffold was being struct. Q. was this filmed in a studio? The list goes on. As to Bob the Builder, please watch BOB LIVE,please listen to Mr Bentley prior to works statring. Any comments? Anybody reported the adverts to the Advertising Standards Agency? Looking forward to your replies. Regards. Jonathan Sandler
Admin  
#17 Posted : 04 April 2003 17:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Come on lads, be fair, at least Wendy and Bob always wear PPE and drop in little safety homilies like don't play with electricity and seek psychiatric help if you think the digger is talking to you. As I have been stuck at home today with a horrible cold I have been watching daytime TV for its anaesthetic effects. I was cheered by an ad for a plant hire chain that shows a) an actor wearing full PPE and b) exhorts the public to "hire something safe" - in this case a scaffolding tower rather than a dodgy looking ladder. So it's not all bad news.
Admin  
#18 Posted : 07 April 2003 08:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Jonathan If we were all to make responses to some of these companies en masse it might make a difference but I am afraid individual calls/letters/e-mails meet a brick wall - take it from one who has tried it. I am not particularly known for letting go of a bone either. I am afraid Advertising Standards do not see there role as policing any legislation breaches involved in the filming, especially as these scaffolds etc do not necessarily fall under the more defined requirements of the CHSW Regs but under the general duties of HASAWA and the Man. Regs etc.for a risk assessed process. We could take this back to the culture of risk that is so firmly embedded in people and they see this prevention of their pleasure/leisure/entertainment activities as a "nanny" move to spoil their enjoyment. They will shout loud when the inevitable happens but then expect their enjoyment not to be curtailed. Bob
Admin  
#19 Posted : 07 April 2003 13:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Bullough Considering the amount of television watched by the average child and adult in the UK nowadays and the significant influence it will have on most people's thinking and attitudes, Arran raises an important issue with this thread. One of my pet hates is the way in which too many TV programmes and films shown on TV depict people using hand-held mobile phones while driving as normal and acceptable behaviour. As previous responders have indicated various programmes and adverts provide copious examples of how not to do things safely - which can be video-recorded and used for H & S training, albeit for a limited audience. The snag is that the vast majority of viewers will not be aware of whether something shown is safe or not. Moreover, on most occasions, the unsafe situations portrayed do not result in evident harm - which reinforces the notion for viewers that there is no need to bother with health and safety. On the probably rare occasions when harm does occur during the making of a programme, no doubt the TV companies will interupt, cancel or postpone the programme for "technical reasons". It is evident from other responses that approaches by informed individuals to TV companies have little or no impact on the attitudes and practices of the production teams? Also, if such teams tend to have a culture of not heeding TV company H & S advisers, there is no hope for outsiders to have any effect on what is portrayed? However, could matters be improved if informed people were to write or comment constructively, not to the TV companies, but to newspapers and publications like the “Radio Times” where the criticisms would be read by numerous other people – and may gradually have more impact on the TV companies and production teams? Although private letters directly to TV companies can simply be ignored, surely it would be harder for such companies to ignore criticism which is aired publicly.
Admin  
#20 Posted : 07 April 2003 14:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie I watched an episode of the A-Team at the weekend and not only did they construct a tank out of three old sheets of tin and a wheelbarrow (Mr T did use a visor while welding) but they then proceeded to drive it into a miltary base and rescue some hostages. Not only was everyone shooting at each other and explosions going off everywhere but 'amazingly' no one got hurt. This is an obvious example of how television does not portray the real risks to people, I mean everyone knows you should wear safety goggles and suitable barrier cream when attacking a small army!
Admin  
#21 Posted : 07 April 2003 15:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hilditch I agree with Zoe on this subject. It is only the minority of the advertising/entertaiment business that promotes bad working practices. The majority, like the HSS adverts and Bob The Builder promote good working practices. I also think you should watch something other than Bob The Builder in your spare time!!
Admin  
#22 Posted : 09 April 2003 10:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Did anyone see 'Casualty' in the weekend. It was a catalogue of disasters. Most of them deliberate - the electricity supply failed and the back-up generators failed. The electrician was electrocuted. Fine - this was all part of a dramatic plot but too unsafe practices happened which were dubious. 1. The paramedic climbed down into a pit to rescue the unconscious or dead electrician in the generator room. He knew it could be live but without anyone close who knew how to isolate, he took the risk. He came out OK - Giving the impression to the viewing public that it's OK to take a very high-risk of sacrificing your own life to save another. Altruism or stupidity? 2. A Doctor was stuck in the lift - halfway between floors. He climbed out - with the help of a nurse. No mention of lift release procedures. The fire alarm was sounding at the time - it started when he was already in the lift. Can anybody tell me if this would have been acceptable in an emergency or should the hospital have been set-up so proper lift-release procedures happen - even during a fire evacuation?
Admin  
#23 Posted : 09 April 2003 13:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson I am more concerned about the lack of regular safety features on the news - has anybody carried out a risk assessment on the dangers of being on the receiving end of all those bullets?
Admin  
#24 Posted : 16 April 2003 08:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian McMillan Graham makes an excellent point when he refers to using examples of bad practice for training. Whilst not being exactly bad practice, more like poor provision, I use an episode of the Wombles called Crossed Lines to illustrate how a school switchboard can become overloaded and unable to cope in an emergency situation. The message is clearly made and enables people to concentrate on alternative lines of communication in the case of critical incidents. It is quite funny and to see a class full of senior teachers engrossed in this video. This in itself is a sight to behold. On a more serious note, it is a shame that we can find so many examples of poor practice being passed on through such an influential medium as TV. Pleased to note that Max/Matt? appeared to be using basic edge protection whilst working on the village hall roof in Emmerdale last night though!