Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2003 16:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Edward Hawksey Does anyone have a policy in place covering machinery entanglement (lathes, mills, drills and hand tools) with regards to hair length, loose clothing and jewellery which they could share?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2003 16:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Vintner This really should be covered by training, authorisation competence and risk assessment rather than a policy. Lew
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2003 17:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack - - - and that could be covered in the policy
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 April 2003 17:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Edward I don't think the two previouse replys were much help to you. You are talking company policy, not procedures/training (which will, of course, be stipulated in the policy) I don't have a document to hand, but before you write YOUR policy, you need to have some decisions based on risk assessments e.g. * Permitted hair length and/or confinement * what jewelry is permitted - bracelets would be out (what about wrist watches and wedding rings)I can't see much problems with nose or belly rings. * loose or "floating" clothing ie buttoned or elastic cuffs, no ties or scarves or loose shirt tails/jacket flaps * EXACTLY when gloves must be worn (my opinion is never during lathe or drill work) etc Having defined all that, now you can get down to procedures and, eventually, training on the procedures which reflect the policy. I do hope I have been of some help to you Merv Newman
Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 April 2003 20:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Dear Edward, The following covers all of the matters of concern and is suitable for a general policy document. http://www.osh.dol.govt....order/catalogue/66.shtml The following publication is excellent on machine guarding risk assessments. http://www.safetyline.wa....au/pagebin/pg000877.pdf Regards Adrian Watson