Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 April 2003 14:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman Now that warmer weather is with us again, so are the ubiquitous barbecues! Not surprisingly I've been approached (again)to ask if someone can organise a barbecue at the workplace - an office building with spacious grounds. As far as I'm concerned, so long as it's under control, fire precautions in place, food properly protected etc they shouldn't go far wrong. However, I would be very interested in experiences others may have had with having barbecues at work. Jim
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 April 2003 14:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Helen Is the company also supplying alcohol to drink on the premises?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 April 2003 16:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman Helen, Chance would be a fine thing! They do however state that you can bring your reasonable quantities of own supply - management hedge their bets by allowing a 'little' but are not willing to ban alcohol consumption. Jim
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 April 2003 16:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Jim, - Yes and with the warmer weather - up goes the incidence of food related poisoning - its the same year in, year out - much of it associated with barbecues. We issue a checklist to be returned to us, highlighting the food safety areas as well as guidance on where (and where not) barbecues can be sited - after an embarasssing fire in a tree with an overhanging branch. Can share it if you like - e mail me.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 April 2003 17:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Jim. Sorry to put a damper on things.... I recall reading an article (don't ask where as it was at least 18 months ago) about an accident at a poolside BBQ provided and paid for by the employer for employees. At this event there was some (apparently harmless!!) tomfoolery that resulted in an employee (slipping I think) getting injured. As a result his employer was fined for breach of health and safety and then for negligence/damages by the employee. I recall that the verdict went that although it was an out of hours activity, the employer had a duty of care to ensure the H&S of his employees, as it was a work function/activity!! (supplied and paid for by the employer). This may of course have some bearing on BBQ's in respect of: Food alergies Food hygiene and sickness (cooked?) Alcohol availability Employee behavour Safety of venue (risk assessment!!) Drinking/Tiredness and driving (accidents in company or non-company cars!!) Well then that's that...No more BBQ's on the employer eh!!!!!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 03 April 2003 08:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker I think Stuart is right except there has been more than one incident. Essentially you must risk assess just as though it was a work activity. I think I've got a Croner briefing on the subject somewhere - I'll try & dig it out. One final thought, if anyone gets drunk even on his own alcohol and then drives off the site, I think you will find the company is potentially liable for the consequences.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 03 April 2003 11:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Bill, I tried to email you through the board but it didn't work - I'd be interested in seeing your guidance checklist please. Our company BBQ was actually held on an employee's premises last year - the legal consequences of any accident are shuddering! Please email to: sean_fraser@sgs.com Thanks.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 03 April 2003 16:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Jim, I tried to e-mail you direct, but the address bounces.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 04 April 2003 10:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Unfortunately this is one of those situations where the H&S Officer is stuck between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand we have to advise on the safest and healthiest ways of carrying out activities and on the other hand we must be realistic and not curtail all activities. If you look at barbecues from a risk management point of view, they are a recipe for disaster - partly cooked meat on unhygienic surfaces by someone who has consumed half a gallon of Stella! Another no-win situation is Christmas tree lights (not earthed or double insulated). And dare I mention using hands-free mobile phones while driving, especially after what Lord Woolfe had to say on the subject yesterday. What it's like to be popular eh...! Eric
Admin  
#10 Posted : 08 April 2003 10:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I have come across a number of these over the years ranging from the impressive professional to an old dustbin with some metal mesh on top. As you know, risk assessment is the 'order of the day' and in, addition to general health and safety, fire safety and food safety standards need to be applied (see 'Assured Safe Catering' and 'The Food Safety Handbook'. Stability of the structure is important as well as guarding hot surfaces, protection of food from contamination by exposure, contact, temperature, etc and provision of hand-washing and first-aid facilities, etc, etc. I have issued a set of HSE CAIS sheets and a range of food safety literature to all of our establishments, advised them to follow these in all catering operations including BBQs and endeavour to turn up to check what's taking place at open-air events.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 09 April 2003 11:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By lawrence baldwin Jim Notify and liaiase with your Insurance company, they tend not to like surprises Lawrence