Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 April 2003 12:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess Hi everyone Has anyone got any examples or information etc. on insurance companies who are refusing to insure companies until they have the appropriate health and safety management and systems in place. This seems to be more common now than ever. Thanks in advance Greg
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 April 2003 16:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West My company was requested to go and complete a H and S Audit and install a management system (policy, procedures etc etc) following a clients refusal of employers liabilty insurance. The site was an absolute mess and reminded me of the Nebosh Cert practical (spot the obvious hazards!!) Following our time on site and the implementation of procedures the insurance company eventually insured the company. I don't think this happens too often and I think it only happens in really dire cases. However, I have heard of premiums being dramatically increased to take into account the lack of management of H and S and the lack of procedures and so on. More and more medium sized companies are contacting consultants in a bid to try and keep premiums low. Kev
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 April 2003 17:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Insurance companies are now getting wiser and are no longer prepared to payout between £1.20 & £1.70 for every £1 of premium they receive (doesn't make good business sense). As a self employed HS&E consultant I have been engaged by one of the larger insurers to carry out H&S surveys/audits of their client base with a view to establishing the status of their H&S management system. The results of the audits will help determine the level of premium (if they insure at all!!) that their clients will pay in the future. I can't say that I have any sympathy for companies who cannot afford thier premiums, they have had long enough to comply with HASAWA and subsequent legislation. Regards, Paul Craythorne
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 April 2003 19:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Hutchings The reason why many SME's are going out of business, is not necessarily because they have poor SMS's; but due to the exceptional increase in claims. This has now forced insurance companies to look into the risk profile of these companies in more detail. Unfortunately this has meant that work that is perceived as high risk - such as scaffolding for example, will carry a very high premium. Some of these premiums have now increased ten fold +. I believe that this situation now suggests that serious lobbying is needed to ensure that schemes can be put in place to assist the smaller businesses, not just to be able to afford to pay, but to understand that good risk management - does really mean good business. This is already being managed through the supply chain at the moment by some of the bigger organisations. Though more often then not, they also expect high amounts of cover. Perhaps this is something that IOSH could lead the public debate on a bit more; no one appears to be taking a lead in this situation at the moment, though I have read about some government discussions. Do other people think that IOSH should be more involved in this debate? Perhaps they are and I am not aware of it?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 April 2003 20:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murphy QANW Services (an Insurance Brokerage) in partnership with DTI as part of the Quality Mark initiative are offering companies working in the domestic repairs, maintenance and improvment sector a 20 per cent discount on liability insurance through QANW Services when registering for quality mark. Companies who do more than 30% of their business in the commercial market and have up to 19 employees can obtain the same discount having been approved through an "enhanced quality mark or QM2)" (This a desk top based H&S compliance and management check, four or five site based technical assessments including health and safety. A financial vetting and a claims history check). (Companies outside the RMI sector can also get the same insurance discount through QANW by qualifying in the same way). For deatils about Enhanced Quality Mark (QM2) visit http://www.buildingcontrolonline.com/ where an application poack can be obtained and you will find links to others involved in the process including QANW services. Note that a company applying through their trade association will receive an additional 5% discount).
Admin  
#6 Posted : 04 April 2003 11:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Youel SME's After working for over 25 years with SME's. I find that however small they are they can always find the time to look at their new 4 wheel drive vehicle and easily get the money to pay for it but they cannot find the time and money for a new pair of gloves etc. Is it me or am I being unkind.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 April 2003 14:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith I have had an insight into both sides of this story over the last year. I know of one scaffolding company who have been in the fortunate position were they have been offered public and employee liability insurance this year. However on an annual turnover of £1.5m the premium for this insurance was £150k. The offer was also conditional that they paid the full premium up front. Paul Craythorne is also correct in stating that the insurance industry is currently paying out between £1.20 & £1.70 for every £1 of premium they receive for E.L. insurance. What is less well know is that more than 60% of claims come from less than 5% of their customers. Therefore you can see why there is a temptation for insurers to decline some public and employee liability insurance. There is also another factor which may come into play in the near future. The Government has been considering the idea claiming back the cost of A&E treatment from E.L. insurance. This would put greater pressure on some sectors such as construction; however I suspect that this idea has been postponed for the moment.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 04 April 2003 21:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Dear All, In response to Bob's comments, it is not just SME's who penny pinch and cut corners on H&S management, I have worked for 3 international companies and 1 large UK company in my career and they have all been found wanting when it comes to legal compliance and pro-active H&S management. One company saw its UK premium rise from £300,000 per annnum in 2000 to £1.5m in 2002 because of the level of claims against them. Had 1/4 of this money been spent on improving the H&S resource and reducing risk then this would not have occurred. Being wise after the event can be costly!!! Regards, Paul Craythorne
Admin  
#9 Posted : 09 April 2003 23:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David .J. Minnery The rising cost of Public Liability Insurance is hitting hard on volutary/community groups, premiums have rocketed since 9/11 and small community groups with annual funding of £250.00 are being quoted figures in excess of £750.00, these are very small/low risk groups that are being forced to wind up as a direct result of high Insurance costs. Communities are losing out on the services provided by these voluntary/community groups who rely heavily on the goodwill of their volunteers to function. Who will speak up for them??????
Admin  
#10 Posted : 11 April 2003 13:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lawrence Bamber When I worked in the industry, we declined cases when there was no evidence of a working oshms. If you wish to talk to me re this, pls contact me via home phone on 01625 876469.