Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 April 2003 14:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Fox. Does anybody know what changes will be implemented in the law regarding the use of hand held mobile phones and non-permanent hands free kits, used in motor cars.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 April 2003 08:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Graham Following a lengthy consultation period, as part of the Governments' road safety strategy to reduce road deaths, they propose to make it a SPECIFIC offence to use a HAND-HELD mobile phone whilst driving. The Government recognises that the risk to driving is about the same whther you are using hands-free or hand-held, but as they are not able to enforce hands-free they will not be making this a SPECIFIC offence. However, you must recognise that using ANY type of mobile phone while driving is an offence if you are driving without due care and attention, driving recklessly or dangerously. Last Thursday, the Lord Chief Justice, Lord Woolfe, stated that he has advised that drivers who cause fatalities should face a 12 - 18 month jail sentence, and for those where there are mitigating factors such as USING A MOBILE PHONE (any type) or falling asleep at the wheel (as in the Selby crash) should face a jail sentence of up to 10 years. Also read this in conjunction with the new Police Road Death Investigation Manual and HSC/DTR report of 2001, and you will see that it is extremely unwise (as well as illegal) to use ANY type of mobile phone while driving. If you need any stats, have a look at some information from BRAKE, the road safety group. If you need any more info, e-mail me direct as I am working on a H&S policy on this for my employer and have done quite a bit of research into this topic. Safe driving..... Eric
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 April 2003 11:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson We have just produced a discussion paper on this subject and it is attached for info and we will introduce a company wide ban on using mobile phones when driving. If it becomes illegal (a specific offence) then a policy is immaterial as it is the same as producing a policy which says you will not drink and drive. Mobile Phones and Driving – Discussion Paper Introduction After discussion at a recent HS&E Committee meeting it was agreed that the company introduce a policy on the use of Mobile phones whilst driving COMPANY VEHICLES. The use of mobile phones whilst driving is a dangerous practice and potentially puts peoples lives at risk, both to our employees and to the general public at large. It is important that **** has a clear Company policy on the practice of driving a company vehicle whilst using a Mobile phone. Present situation The UK Government’s Road Safety Strategy recognised that mobile phones are a real risk to road safety, despite being of great assistance to drivers. The current situation in terms of mobile phones and driving is that the Police may prosecute drivers under Regulation 104 of the Construction and Use Regulations 1986 (C&U Regulations) for failing to have proper control of their vehicle. Offending drivers may be offered a fixed penalty notice of £30. If not, the fine on conviction is a maximum of £1,000 (or £2,500 for drivers of goods vehicles and vehicles licensed to carry eight or more passengers). A prosecution for careless or dangerous driving may also be justified in some cases, which may attract a higher penalty. Penalties for these offences include endorsement, disqualification and imprisonment in the most serious cases. The Highway Code also highlights that drivers should never use a hand-held phone and that using a hands-free phone is also likely to distract a driver’s attention from the road. Concerns about drivers using their mobile phones whilst on the move have prompted further action to send a clearer message to motorists that they should not be used. The Government has already announced plans to make Regulation 104 of the C&U Regulations an endorsable offence, which is likely to be in force around Easter 2003 this will introduce a mandatory 3 point penalty and a £30 fine, but up to £1000 in a magistrates court. Amendments to the C&U Regulations would apply throughout Great Britain. The proposed ban will also apply when a vehicle is stopped at traffic lights or stuck in a traffic jam. Points for consideration Text messaging must be forbidden under all circumstances if driving. We operate throughout the UK and some employees spend considerable time travelling and keeping in contact is sometimes essential. Journey times may vary if persons have to stop frequently to check for messages or make phone calls. Management must realise that persons may be ‘non-contactable’ when driving if a hands free kit is not installed and allowance for this must be adhered to. Staff who have taken the ‘money option’ instead of a company vehicle are therefore driving their own vehicle but are on ‘Company Business’ when travelling away from base. Do we provide for them? They may change car whenever they wish or do we insist that they have a fitted kit which we reimburse through the allowance or pay for but only once every 3 years? The only acceptable hands free kit is a properly installed, fixed hands free, this will have a financial implication of approx. £250 per vehicle, whose budget? Central or departmental? The need for a policy on this will be academic if the proposed legislation comes into force as it will be a specific criminal offence to use a mobile whilst driving, however in the interim, until this is on the statute it is imperative that we have a clear company policy. Some employees may not need a hands free kit if they only use their company vehicle for travelling from their home to work. A standardisation of Phones and hands free kits in pool cars will need to be considered or a phone made available which fits the hands free so that the driver can insert their ‘SIM’ card into this unit. This should be made a disciplinary offence, as a breach would be against a defined company requirement in the interests of safety. I am of the opinion that the use of a mobile phone should not be permitted whilst driving any company vehicle unless it is attached to a properly fitted hands free kit and recommend that **** introduce a Policy to this effect as soon as possible.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 April 2003 15:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Dave Thank you for the response. I would caution against introducing hands-free kits into cars, as you are implying that they are safer than hand-held and clearly all the evidence says they are not. If the company supplies hands-free kits and the employee has an accident, you may find yourselves having to answer some very awkward questions from HSE, especially in terms of risk assessment. Using ANY type of mobile is a distraction and has been proven to increase the risk of an accident, therefore providing hands-free kits is hardly a good control measure. Introducing a policy such as this is hugely unpopular, but as Health and Safety professionals, our job is to interpret the research, take good opinion from others and recommend the safest course of action. I hope the government has a change of heart and bans ALL mobiles while driving - this would make our job a lot easier!! Remember the phrase... "Don't shoot the messenger" ! Check out the "Brake" information - it is very good, well balanced and sensible. Also have a chat with your local constabulary - I have found ours to be very good and willing to chat through all the ins and outs of our draft policy. Good luck. Eric
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 April 2003 15:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser In advance of any legislation, our organisation has already banned the use of hand-held mobile 'phones by employees whilst driving, with a policy on how to deal with customers/suppliers who confirm they are calling from a mobile whilst driving. As has been pointed out, this policy becomes irrelevant once legislation is enacted. I am looking forward to seeing how many prosecutions are actually brought in the wake of any statute and what penalties are actually applied, to see if this has any effect on what I personally find a dangerous and selfish activity. However, I am also cognizant of the fact that the use of such technology has been a boon to many businesses and it allows for contact to be maintained with mobile staff wherever they are, so what effect would such legislation have on small businesses where a mobile 'phone is an economic lifeline for many? The problem is always telling the difference between a "justified" conversation and one that is just for a chat! The easiest (and safest) way has always been to simply outlaw it. I always feel that safety considerations come before commercial ones and this matter has been a good example of that.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 April 2003 18:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Trevor Wraith Hi everyone! Having read the above evangelical responses I cannot help but wonder if your proposed ban on hands free communications would also apply to police and paramedic motorcyclists or whether they would be exempt due to some supernatural power that enables them to ignore relatively unimportant conversation and concentrate on driving or navigating as and when necessary, a skill which we mere mortals are obviously unable to master. If you don't mind I'll just duck down now and watch the flak. Yours Trevor
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 April 2003 14:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Trevor In my research I put this very point to the police, especially as they are often involved in high speed pursuits, and was told that the use of a radio differs considerably in that it is used for very short periods of time to send and receive messages, whereas a mobile phone call tends to involve a conversation of greater duration. The police also made the point that they are trained in driving to a higher standard than Joe Public. Contact BRAKE through their web-site www.brake.org.uk to get examples of successful prosecutions of drivers using hands-free and hand-held mobile phones whilst driving. There is a case of a lorry driver using a hands-free while driving who killed another motorist and was sentenced to 18 months imprisonment. Eric