Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 April 2003 14:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Is bacteria flora or fauna? Thanks, Eric
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 April 2003 14:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis the latter as it not a plant Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 April 2003 15:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Fauna n. animals of a given place or time (Collins dictionary definition) Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 April 2003 18:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Dear all, SOED gives the following definition: bacterium Any of the very widely distributed group Bacteria of microscopic prokaryotic mainly single-celled organisms, many of which are symbiotic or pathogenic in animals and plants. ... Bacteria were formerly classified as fungi, but are now usu. regarded (with blue-green algae) as constituting a distinct division of plants, or an independent kingdom. Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 April 2003 09:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Thomason Bacteria are regarded as a separate kingdom - neither animals or plants. However, in medicine and biology, the normal population of bacteria we all have in and on our bodies (in the gut, genital tract, skin etc.) is called the "normal flora". It would be interesting to know why you ask the question! Diane
Admin  
#6 Posted : 11 April 2003 15:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Thanks all. Diane - I asked the question because someone asked me and I didn't know the answer, but guessed at fauna. Sounds like a good one for "Who wants to be a millionaire". Cough sweet anyone...!! Eric