Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 April 2003 09:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Clay Hi I am about to embark on doing risk assessment in a small printers. Has anyone any ideas on this industry and the particular un-obvious hazards to look out for?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 April 2003 15:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd Not intended as a comprehensive list - just manual handling aspects and mostly fairly obvious - the detail will, in any case, depend on your specific machines and tasks. However, here are just a few things that I have been asked to look at and which have caused problems for machine minders etc.: - paper loading (weight, paper size [& therefore reach distances] grip position [under/over], straightening of bundle, pushing bundle) - machine cleaning/unjamming (reaching rollers [usually one handed/asymmetric posture]) - refilling inks, (ink container size & filling position) - quality control (stooping over light boxes to view examples of print quality) - removal of finished sheets to pallets - long shift lengths are common in this industry and may exacerbate other risks.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 April 2003 09:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bellis there is all sorts to consider, temperature lighting, ventilation, machine guarding, maintenance, manual handling, slips trips, toxic fumes, allergens etc etc try - http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/printidx.htm website - its the hse page with various free leaflets/ documents specifically on the printing industry which will give you the areas you wll nead to assess good luck paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 April 2003 16:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Ian The British Printing Industries Federation (think now called something else) have published a whole range of guidance on H&S issues affecting the printing industry. Peter
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 April 2003 00:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rex Harrison Ian How I set about it was to create a list of every job activity on the site, combining this with following the manufacture route from materials inn to product out, and then looking at the storage, maintenance, and set-up procedures associated with all the above. I had quite a list, many had to be done generically. As far as unusual R.A.'s it will depend on your type of printing, our site is web-offset. I expect my list doesnt cover everything, but you can look at Company Vehicles, FLT, Lifting Equipment, COSHH, Manual Handling, water systems etc etc. PIAC and the HSE publish 'The Printer's Guide To Health And Safety'(ISBN 0-7176-2267-3), which could be useful for you. Good Luck Rex