Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 April 2003 17:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Harris With 20+ experience of sales, operations, distribution and management within the wholesale licensed/hospitality trade, I radically changed career into the Health & Safety aspects of this sector in 1997. I am now 53. Gaining my NEBOSH Certificate and IOSH Managing Safely Certificate as well as Advanced Food Hygiene qualifications I gpassed my Diploma 1 in 2001. I have vountarily been on CPD since 1998 after gaining a NVQ 3in training & development. Question? Can I ask other IOSH & or CIEH members out there if this is a reasonable level of competency for giving H & S advice along with inspecting, auditing and training within the licensed hotel and catering sectors ? Or not? All comments greatly appreciated to settle an internal disagreement. Chris Harris
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 April 2003 18:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Chris, The qualifications do not qualify you as competent to give advice. What qualifies you is your knowledge, experience and your ability to convey information without ambiguity. There are people out there with higher qualifications than those that you possess but it doesn't mean that they are any more competent to give valued advice. Good luck in whatever you choose to do. Regards, Paul Craythorne
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 April 2003 13:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Good question mate ! Firstly as far as CIEH and Food Hygine goes there are specific standards for inspecting and auditing premises for food hygiene. Cant remember the Specific document number which gives this. Now H&S advice I have experience of Consultants with NO H&S qualifications at all and one of them had actually failed the Cert twice!! I feel that any one is competent to givr H&S advice if like Paul says above they have the experience, knowledge and any other attribute which makes the advice they give as clear and more importantly clearly understood. The problem with off the shelf H&A Auditing proformas which are easy to fill in but if you do not have access to competent advice then you will have no idea what to do with the results. As far a competency goes the onnly true test is in the courts where the Management regs stipulate access to competent H&S resources but dont know of any prosecutions as yet.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 April 2003 23:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Harris Thank you Paul & Dave for your thoughts on this old chestnut! The thrust of the problem is I work alongside ex EHOs who gained complimentary full IOSH membership some 15 - 20 years ago, from being degree educated members of the CIEH & have since failed to professionally keep abreast of changes to H & S legislation. My industry knowledge and qualifications are current, up to date, and I am still learning and on CPD! But even so, my competence in terms of IOSH membership status is perceived to be inferior to that of my Ex EHO colleagues who are not on CPD. They are MIOSH I am Tech Sp end of story. Is there any body else in the same boat as me? Would IOSH or anyone else like to submit a comment?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 April 2003 00:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Hi Chris, Like yourself I'm also qualified to TechSP level. I also believe myself to be as capable and competent as many other more academically qualified professionals when working in my own sector. I have around 18yrs experience in a very diverse engineering - manufacturing facility that would test the ability of most safety professionals. In my line of work, academic qualifications are not necessarily as important as grass roots experience gained on the job. I do however, believe that CPD should be central to anyone working in an advisory capacity.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 April 2003 07:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould I have worked in most sectors apart from hotel and catering. I worked on a comer site and the safety manager had a cert. He was a DGSA who had taken responsibility for health and safety. I had dip 1 and cert and like others say i still had to learn from him and he was good at his job. He taught me managment handling tactics. I feel that i should go self employed as this is the best way to get experience. Qualifications dont mean your good at the job experiance does. But then theres the issue of a production manager having the experience and getting the job who is sidelined into production priority. I have seen this environment and its dangerous.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 17 April 2003 10:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lorna Morris This is more for Chris Harris! As an ex-EHO(we're called Environmental Hleath Practitioners when we leave enforcement), I am going to defend my profession.IOSH membership certainly wasn't automatic when I applied - there seemed to be some aversion to enforcement officers joining. The CIEH has had a compulsory CPD scheme for years - if you don't do it, you're chucked out! I do CPD for both which isn't easy as some courses aren't acceptable to both so I can understand why some people just stick to the one they have to do. As for qualifications versus experience, I know too many qualified people who have learnt nothing - the first is useful as a building block but the second is probably more important.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 17 April 2003 14:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Funny old game! I am an ex EHO (Tottenham College!) and MIOSH, RSP by Nebosh Diploma (Old system) passed all 5 in one week, gloat. More to the point, the reason I did the NEBOSH H&S Diploma was that as an EHO I was very good at giving legal advice and enforcement but recognised that I was somewhat lacking in the technical aspect of H&S at work. "alright mate how do I put this right so you won't take enforcement action etc" could respond really. May be interesting to ask your EHO colleagues about the Audit Commission report on H&S enforcement in the LA enforced sector, says it all. PS I'm only coming from a H&S angle before other EHO's jump in.