Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 April 2003 14:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Amanda Thorpe
I work for a printing company and we use 8" 'carving' knives to remove the cardboard packing from around 1 tonne reels of paper (they look like large scale toilet rolls standing approx 500mm high). We tried using standard safety knives - think we've been through the entire Arco catalogue - but can't find one that does the job without damaging the reels of paper. Wondering whether any one has any suggestions.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 April 2003 20:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd
I've no idea how sussessful it might be for your application but have you seen/tried the 'Moving Edge' knife. It received some publicity about 5 years ago but I've not seen much of it since - have a look at: http://www.movingedge.com/no_frames/knife1.htm
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 April 2003 22:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tom
In cases like this ... my first port of call would be to contact the supplier. Tell them your problem ... concerns on the grounds of H&S ... ask them to visit your site ... I bet they have then answer for more easily removable packaging.

Always remember ... you are the customer and you are not satisfied with the current arrangements ...

Let me know how you get on ...

Tom.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 April 2003 09:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Why does the blade have to be 8"? Have you tried the cutters in the Slingsby catalogue (www.slingsby.com)or the Seton catalogue (www.seton.co.uk)?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 22 April 2003 12:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Clements
Amanda

You may like to try 'The Safety Knife Co Ltd' - www.safetyknife.net - their product called 'The Big Fish' will probably do the job.
Phone no 01452 318922

Geoff
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 April 2003 13:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Paterson
While out shopping with the wife at Tesco the staff there were using a safety implement to open cardboard boxes. You can go to your local Tesco and ask about them. I think the lady called the implement a fish like the last response it could be the same item.

Kind Regards

Robert Paterson
Admin  
#7 Posted : 23 April 2003 13:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy
Amanda,

As others have rightly said, first contact the suppliers and tell them you are not happy, ask for a solution, if they are not forthcoming, speak to your buyer, does he have alternative suppliers that you can use as a bargaining tool?

There are many knives out there, we have trialed
fish knives for removing film, they are fish shaped with an enclosed blade like the seatbelt cutters, they work well

The Moving edge knife, fine for film

The BDX safety knife which will cut through platic, film and carboard but how thick/what is the packaging you are cutting through?

Moving edge details:

Postal Address:
Moving Edge Limited
Challenge House
52-54 Holton Road
Barry
South Glamorgan
CF63 4HE
United Kingdom
Phone Number: 01446 749111
(International +44 1446 749111)
http://www.movingedge.com/index.htm

If you need any other info reply direct, hope this helps

Regards

Andrew.

Admin  
#8 Posted : 30 April 2003 17:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Farrell
Hi Amanda,

have you considered speaking with you paper reel supplier, that may be able to supply the paper with an outer protective sleeve which doesn't require 'cutting off'. This way you can eliminate the use of knives.

Regards

Andy
Admin  
#9 Posted : 01 May 2003 10:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson
I would agree with Tom's comments - try to get the packing changed - talk to your supplier.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 09 May 2003 15:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Iain Macfarlane
Martor manufacture a wide range of safety including one designed to "remove residual paper layers from roll cores" (Cut-O-Matic No 438).

Iain

Martor Direct
Ahed Estate
Dewsbury Road
Ossett,
West Yorkshire WF5 9ND
Telephone: (01924) 281333
Fax: (01924)281444
Admin  
#11 Posted : 09 May 2003 16:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Ferneyhough
Amanda,

Another knife option is the S3 Safety Cutter, This knife is available in a left & right handed version. Marketed in the UK by The Cutter Company 01628 487125, the MD is a guy called Martyn Thomson.

Regards

Geoff