Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 April 2003 16:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By smudge A strange request I know but with good reasons. Can anyone tell me what the legal heights both maximum and minimum are for head restraints in large vehicles. The reason that I do not say large goods vehicle is because we are describing fire appliances ( there may be a difference) any information would be very welcome. Smudge.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 April 2003 11:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Renny Thomson TechSP As far as I can recall there is no specified height, but you would need to check the detail of the Construction & Use Regs to be certain. Your local Vehicle Inspectorate Office should be able to asssist. As far as adjustment is concerned - the restraint should be positioned so that the "bulge" on the back of the skull will be arrested by the restraint. If the restraint is too low the result can be a very sertious neck injury as you are probably aware. The difficult bit is educating drivers and passengers to adjust the restraint to suit themselves. I am fairly conciencious about this, but at over 6 foot, I find some vehicles do not adjust sufficiently and hve deleted some cars off of my desirable list because of this.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 April 2003 11:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Renny Thomson TechSP As far as I can recall there is no specified height, but you would need to check the detail of the Construction & Use Regs to be certain. Your local Vehicle Inspectorate Office should be able to asssist. As far as adjustment is concerned - the restraint should be positioned so that the "bulge" on the back of the skull will be arrested by the restraint. If the restraint is too low the result can be a very serious neck injury as you are probably aware. The difficult bit is educating drivers and passengers to adjust the restraint to suit themselves. I am fairly careful about this, but at over 6 foot, I find some vehicles do not adjust sufficiently and hve deleted some cars off of my desirable list because of this.