Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 April 2003 11:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin
I wonder if anyone has any advice or experience regarding the use of CO detectors within commercial kitchens. In this case, we are in the process of deciding whether to install them into school kitchens which use gas equipment. This has come about following a number of incidents over the years where gas has been detected at high levels during servicing and maintenance, and /or staff report headaches when boilers go wrong and fumes find their way into kitchens etc.

The risk assessment identifies that due to the amount of gas equipment, which is often ageing and heavily used, this would be a worthwhile control measure (and re-assuring for staff). This is in addition to an annual preventative maintenance programme I should add.

The type of detectors we're considering are the wall mounted units which last 5 years and have audible alarms - not the colour changing spot cards.

Any advice/information will be gratefully recieved.

Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 April 2003 11:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Have no idea, but would suggest that any extra safeguard if it can be squeezed into the budget should be done.

More importantly if the RA identifies this then dont know why yoy are asking the question
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2003 09:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott
An ANNUAL planned preventative maintenance programme for aged, heavily used gas equipment giving off carbon monoxide - surely the risk assessment will have identified the need for a much tighter maintenance regime than once a year!!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 April 2003 09:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt
Martin

Check out the latest CORGI guidance regarding interlocking of gas equipment and ventilation in commercial(including school) kitchens as you shouldn't be getting CO in the first place.

I have done some research into this with HSE so e-mail me if you need more info.

Regards,

Eric