Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#41 Posted : 23 May 2003 13:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Couldn't agree more Brett. This is the nub of the whole issue. We as a profession want to be seen to be a professional organisation, which I think is the only way forward, if we wish to be taken seriously at board room level. Now that leaves the Tech Sp who has no Degree, no chance of NEBOSH Dip, has no desire, need or will, to be MIOSH etc in limbo. The problem Safety Professionals have is this, the best and most respected Organisation is IOSH wheter BSC/IIRSM like it or not its a fact. Industry recognises this and asks for thge qualifications etc, Does it really matter what the 'Tech Sp' is called as long as this grade is still recognised as a competent grade. But how is this gooing to happen. NEBOSH/IOSH have always been in bed with each other which is good in a way as IOSH have a credible independant examining body. You can put down any course you like as CPD accredited as long as it enhances your competence as a safety professional and allocate the points you feel it warrants, so you can use this as CPD. you wouldnt expect IOSH to accredit the BSC Safety Man Diploma? (big certificate though!) My advice would be to stick with IOSH,you might as well, as you will have to subscribe to the SHP as this is where the jobs are.(can always photocopy etc) Remember the majority of employers out there are only after Nebosh Cert or Dip 1 don't see many asking for BSC Safety Man Dip etc. You may have noticed that IIRSM now allow you to become a MIIRSM if you have Dip1 or Const Cert with experience but what benefit over IOSH? I am on most definately on your side of the fence. Dave MIOSH,RSP, SpDipEM, EHO.
Admin  
#42 Posted : 23 May 2003 14:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Bennett Dave, Without wishing to get embroiled in a MIOSH versus MIIRSM debate, I feel the need to respond to your comment over the benefits of IIRSM over IOSH. I receive exactly the same service from the IIRSM as IOSH with a monthly magazine, information fax back service and post nominal letters. So personally I do not feel that membership of one is better, or worse, than the other. As for my views on the removal of Tech SP they are pretty much the same as the previous respondant. Kind regards Lee.
Admin  
#43 Posted : 23 May 2003 15:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey The survey mentioned is actually now complete, although the analysis has not yet been fully completed. The rationale for the survey is as my posting of the 28th April. Council will use the results as part of their discussion on the whole membership structure at a meeting in the near future.Just to re-iterate there are no formal plans to close TechSP this was a consultation exercise withthe group of members who are most closely affected by the recent change in national standards. Quick word on CPD to confirm Dave's posting CPD can be allocated to any course or activity from which an individual develops or maintains professional competence. The activities do not need formal IOSH approval. For entry to membership grades, however, it is necessary to have an accredited qualification and NEBOSH is only one of the methods. See the Membership section on this web-site for full details. Any organisation can approach us for this accreditation as long as they have quality control systems based on one of the National Frameworks for Education.
Admin  
#44 Posted : 27 May 2003 09:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis This still rumbles around I see and I actually have a great deal of sympathy for the TechSPs. It was brought in without thinking through the whole membership structure and would really have been left alone at the time. But now we have it there needs to be some hard thinking. Hazel knows my feelings on this in that I believe that the grade needs to be used in some form of sensible manner to manage what will be a substantial Graduate and Postgraduate entry of people with little practical experience of managing safety in the world of work. Some argue that the Grad. IOSH status resolves this but I feel that it would be better to place thes people in a Technician Grade - Indicating that they are moving through their professional development phase - awaiting Corporate Memebership. I see no problem in allowing those who choose to remain in this grade, for whatever reason, to do so. Those current TechSPs who also choose to move on may do so but at least the remainder will have a place in an active grade of membership. Active in the sense that there are arrivals and departures. I think some in the institutution who would prefer it to whither on the vine but that is not my view. Bob
Admin  
#45 Posted : 27 May 2003 12:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Lee, Not knocking IIRSM/BSC as you say you get the same benefits from both, so why be a member of both? What I was trying to say was that if you want a safety job then look in the SHP as this is where all employers advertise not Safety Management Magazine so IOSH is THE recognised Safety Professionals Organisation and thats the benefit you get. On the other hand if you want more letters after your name then pay the joining fee and put MIIRSM after your name. As the majority of articles, advertising etc is the same. How many of us out there go straight to the jobs page in SHP every month? Be honest! What are we trying to do in our 'Trade'? Be professional and credible methinks, so, IOSH is trying to move the Safety Trade forward, but may have made a bit of a faux pas in the way it is being done.
Admin  
#46 Posted : 27 May 2003 22:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle I have been suprised at some of the comments above further to the discussion topic. 1) I think the only people to blame if health and safety profesionals are held in low esteem, are the health and safety professionals themselves. Too often I personally have found the health and safety professional quietly plodding along, and not making those around him/her aware of the goings on of the profession or the workings of IOSH. If we want these matters improved then we must make the improvement, take the profession to the board and onto the works notice-board. No one will do it for us in the workplace. 2) If you have taken time to read the new Royal Charter document and Bye Laws relating to it, you should have noticed that there are several areas that require Privvy Council Approval before they can be altered. membership is one of those areas, and in particular designations and the use of the term 'chartered'. As I have stated before, and think that it needs saying again, there is a route that can include all members and this is currently the type of system (approved by the Privvy Council) such as used by the Professional Engineering (Chartered) bodies. This includes: Engineering Technician level members (was ONC qualification level as a norm - now HNC) as the base level of membership. Incorporated Engineer level members (was HNC/D but now BSc) as the intermediate level of membership. Chartered Engineer level members (was BSc now MSc) as the top level of membership. (The changes from ONC to HNC & BSc to MSc etc were made by the Institution of Civil Engineer to reflect higher levels of engineering knowledge required and the capabilities required of both levels of membership at Incorporated Engineer/Chartered Engineer level) Fellowships are granted by invigilated election. At present we have by way of qualifications in health and safety: a) NVQ 3 b) Nebosh Cert c) NVQ 4 d) Nebosh Diploma - part 1 e) Nebosh Diploma - part 2 f) BSc Occupations health and Safety f1) PgC Occupational health & safety f2) PgD Occupational health and safety g) MSc Occupational health and safety in respect of the above the following could be stated: a) is a non-practitioner entry level qual. Is not needed by IOSH - dispose of it and leave this to industry to use. b) is a practitioner entry level qual. This needs to be reviewed as to it's status and use. It should be amalgamated with (d) Nebosh Diploma - part 1, as a route to Technician Safety Practitioner as the first professional grade of IOSH and be AMIOSH (No designatory letters). c) is a practitioner level qual that merits elevation of membership to MIOSH. An (invigilated) alternative route to above that needs to be reviewed and improved and will essentially be the route taken by mature candidates who have no previous acedemic qualifications suitable for membership via the acedemic route and give access to 'Technician Safety Practitioner' AMIOSH. d) is a practitioner level qual that in itself (i.e. without part 2) does not get anything except a big bill. This should be incorpoarted with (b) as first professional level qual. (see above) e) is a practitioner level qual that merits elevation of membership to MIOSH. This should be reviewed and a separate qual(forget the comparrison with NVQ's 3 and 4 - the structure is now gone) for those seeking elevation of membership to (NON CHARTERED) 'Safety Practitioner' MIOSM. f, f1, f2 and g) to all give membership at MIOSH and allow membership as Chartered Safety Practitioner - 'Chartered Safety Pratitioner (CHP)' MIOSH. There is of course, with any proposed changes a hangover for existing members. The normal format is for those at the top level of membership at the time (having the highest qualification level acceptable) to be allowed admission to the new highest grade. What is clear is that a review of the qualifications available and their value in respect of membership is urgently needed, and if necessary IOSH should take the bull by the horns (if not doing so already) and lead the way to ensure these 'fit' with what is required for a streamlined and future facing professional institution. So that's that sorted then!! IOSH please take note.....!!!
Admin  
#47 Posted : 28 May 2003 03:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer We if one thing has occured its 'healthy debate'. I am a Brit living in Sydney Australia but still maintain my interest in ALL that is British. I belong to two chartered learned institutions which are: Institutue Marine Engineering Science & Technology (UK) & Institution of Engineers Australia The first has 3 chartered grades of member which are: Engineer, Technologist & Scientist. All require a Master's Degree in the area of speciality. The second has currently 3 grades of membership Chartered Engineer, Chartered Technologist and Engineering Technician. Membership is by a degree in engineering, a degree in engineering technology and a TAFE qualification respectively, normally a Diploma in Engineering. Both of these organsiations are recognised by industry and government as being the premier icons in engineering science and technology and as such have gained high standing and its members being considered professional in their field of expertise. Whilst no one doubtsthe humble ancestory most learned societies share, society now demands that its professionls gain a level of demonstrable professionalism which is in many respects their assurance of success and that the individual has personally met the strict conditions of a learned society. I applaude the granting of chartered status to IOSH and those that are professionally qualified with obviously benifit from this development. That's not to say that those with para qualifications are to be excluded. There is a place for all to share but in the final analysis in my opinion, professional standing is important to those professionals representing the profession of OHS. Richard Spencer LCDR RANR M.Sc M.EnvMgt GradDipSc(OHS) Chartered Marine Technologist I.Eng MIMarEST Chartered Technologist Fellow Institution of Engineers Australia MIOSH MSIA MEIA