Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

CDM
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2003 11:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Trevor Crowther
Many of you will no doubt be aware that para 27 of CDM Acop specifies that "archaelogical investigations" are NOT "construction work".

I am interested in the interpritation of "archaelogical investigations". In particular, as part of the planning consent arrangements, local authorities can make stipulautions that Developers "undertake archaelogical investigations". These stipulations can be quite detailed and may often specify a "particular method of work".

They are clearly NOT EMPOLYED by the Client but despite this my question is, is their activity still exempt from the regulations or do those making such stipulations become "Designers" under CDM.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2003 11:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie
Trevor,

Clause 111 of the CDM Acop indicates that local authority planners are NOT Designers when specifying actions required to meet statutory requirements. (eg building regulations).

However, HASAWA Section 3 would still apply in terms of protecting the archeologists from any construction works taking place. (and vica -verca)
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2003 12:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Trevor Crowther
Thanks Martyn for pointing out para 111. I was aware of this but was not sure that the definition included the specific activity to which I refer.

Advice relating to such things as building Regs. etc. seems to leave less room for manoeuvre than I feel is the case with specifying archaeological investigations. What do you think?