Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2003 12:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould
I have seen a few comments of people stating there is no legal enforcemnt to record a risk assessment just the findings. my question is that in this day and age you need to provide proof of the training you have provided. surely the day will come when you need to provide proof of how you came accross the findings of the risk assements.
Surely it is better to combine an assessment to paper etc in case of this scenario. i dont work in the safety role as yet but would be interested in what a form would look like that just produces the findings. can anyone advice on this issue.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2003 13:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Good question Jason.

A number of companies have been issued with improvement notices for not carrying out risk assessments.

So - could their defence be, on appeal, yes they had undertaken them but there were, in their opinion, no significant findings to record?

Geoff

Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2003 13:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Would have thought that the two areas go hand in hand.

Geoff,

Suppose that is a matter of opinion for the Inspector who served the notice as to whether they felt that there were 'significant risks' where a documented RA is required.

So begs the question 'What's a Significant Risk then?' (apart from the obvious!')

Any suggestions

Always struggled with this one! better to cover all areas and keep records of actions etc, me thinks.

Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 April 2003 15:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson
Lets be pragmatic here, you will not be prosecuted for keeping a high level risk assessment that identifies no significant hazards, but you could be prosecuted for not having a record.

An inspector can always disagree with the detail of your assessment, but with nothing on paper / electronic you are sure to make life difficult for yourself
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 April 2003 16:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould
So my question would be what circumstances would arise where you would just record the findings of an assement?.

Maybe suitable and sufficent play a part here.

I know its sounds a stupid question and i would always prefer to play safe (written recorded etc.) but when i see people stating you dont by law have to record a risk assessment i get gutted that these people either Know a lot more than me (which is proberbly not hard) or have developed a system or form that does not record the assesment but the findings in such a way it could save a lot of work time and expence. I would love to see one as a learning experiance.

i personaly think its a dangerous road but am open to ideas.

Come to think of it Suitable and sufficient is the answer im sure.

Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 April 2003 21:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick
A risk assessment is nothing more than a
careful examination of what,in your
work,could cause harm to people,so
that you can weigh up whether you have
taken enough precautions or should do
more to prevent harm.The aim is to
make sure that no one gets hurt or
becomes ill.
If you have fewer than five employees
you do not need to write anything down,
though it is useful to keep a written
record of what you have done.But if you
employ five or more people you must
record the significant findings of your
assessment.This means writing down the significant hazards and conclusions.

You may recognise the above, its from the Five Steps.

In practice if we injure someone, make them ill, or have a situation that creates unnecessary or unacceptable risk then it is almost certain that the Risk Assessment was not adequate, suitable or sufficient. If it had been then in most cases the situation would not have occured. The exception is safety systems not being followed or being by-passed

regards
Steve
Admin  
#7 Posted : 30 April 2003 10:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By T. Fowler
Jason
I have always steered away from producing screeds of paper that no-one will ever look at and emphasised the need to nail the big risks. I work with the 60 or so managers of service to adequately control the risks within their area of work. We produce a document that describes these controls, begining with a description of the work, describing the control strategy, the role of risk assessment, the managerial arrangements, the distinction between responsibility and support, the duties of all concerned, the maintenance of competence, the reporting accidents and consultative arrangements. Much of this is common to all but the individual arrangements falling from the specific work, people, equipment etc are important. The document then describes the hazards of the service and the risk control measures in place. Managers like it because I have provided the template for them. They add their in depth understanding of hazards in their service and the final document describes the whole system of H&S management, including precicely what has to be done by whome. So to them H&S is no longer open ended and therefore can be planned. The relevance to the link is this. The document does not record insignificant detail but it does, to the best of the ability of those best placed to do it, demonstrate that hazard identification and risk assessment has been carried out.
If you would like a copy please e-mail me.
Tony
Admin  
#8 Posted : 30 April 2003 10:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
This debate has arisen quite frequently of late, with an excellent discussion still going on (see Site audits - "risk assessments- What do you feel is reasonable?" - 53 messages and counting!), there is something else I would like people to consider, which could be added to the debate.

The question as I see it is how a risk assessment is documented - should it include all the considerations and responses, or just the significant factors and if so, how could that be shown?

Would it therefore be acceptable that if written procedures were in place for all tasks (however they are done, in text or diagrammatical format) and the safety related issues are clearly identified WITHIN the procedure, especially control measures in place or to be employed, that this would meet the requirement?

As someone who is keen to progress the Integrated Management Systems concept, I feel that the changes to the ISO9001:2000 Quality Management Standard where the emphasis is more on process control and less on production of procedures, that simplification needs to become paramount in any contemporary business management system. By adding layer upon layer of documentation and producing volumes of manuals, we may have a tangible product of our work but are we really kidding ourselves if we think that anybody actually reads them? From a behavioural point of view, I believe that most people do NOT come to work to do a rubbish job or to put themselves into unsafe conditions, but they don't necessarily read or follow laid down procedures unless they accurately reflect the predominant culture of the organisation - they do what they do as they were shown and how others conduct work around them. If the actual job process involves a toolbox talk immediately prior to conducting the day's work or that particular task and includes reference to any significant safety factors involved or changes from the last time the job was assessed, then this encourages the involvement of staff at the most basic level and there does not need to be a written Risk Assessment in sight! If the culture is to produce swathes of paperwork that people do not have the time or inclination to read, let alone implement, then it is irrelevant whether it is documented or not, and when the inevitable happens the prosecution will not really be that interested if the assessment was present, but more on how it was applied (or ignored as the case may be), which I feel is the key point.

So what am I saying? In short, the debate about how the significant risks are actually recorded is less important than how they are actually implemented. If they are built directly into the operational plans, procedures and instructions, this should be a more effective means of employing them at staff level as they are then unavoidable - and separate additional RA's are then unnecessary UNLESS the decision making process needs to be demonstrated. The rest relies on adequate and appropriate training for ALL staff (including management) and a safe beaviour-based working culture within the organisation.

Food for thought?
Admin  
#9 Posted : 30 April 2003 15:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould
Thanks all for your contibutions. as i suspected more and more companies are try to successfully incorporate risk assessments within their policies i.e. 2 birds 1 stone. iso standards have a footing with this and a previous company safety manager that i worked for was developing a QHSE Manual which he is trying tie all things together by processes and departments(great concept in theory)
I think he was getting there when i left but wondered how many other people have applied this approach.

He always stated to me that we should not waste time writing precise procedures of what drivers are to do when they are the actual drivers and should know what there job is regarding driving (i.e) it does sound pretty patronising telling an artic driver how to drive on a piece of paper. He just documented the process and tied supporting documentation to it with hyperlinks.

Hope people get the jist of this and do they think it would work.